----- Original Message -----
From: <Norman Dunbar
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] screenshoots

SNIP

> In addition, Geoff, I have *almost* got a working Sudoku generator giving
> the options of easy, medium, hard and bloody hell - I even generate an
> unsolvable grid with only 4 blank spaces :o)
>
> Watch this space .....................

I warn you I am a very harsh taskmaster when it comes to Sudoku generating
programs. There is one on the current issue of Computer Active which uses
Excel. I have had a look at it and am not impressed. It uses techniques for
generating grids that I had experimented with for the QL and rejected as not
be true Sudoku. It also determines difficulty level by the number of numbers
left in the grid although this is only one of the factors.

Most Sudoku puzzles I have seen have between 25 and 35 numbers on the grid.
The Computer Active one had 45 Easy; 36 Medium ; 27 Difficult.

I shall look forward to receiving your Sudoku generating article before the
deadline date 19th February 2006 ;-)

Best Wishes,

Geoff