At 15:58 14/01/2006 -0500, you wrote:

>Then of course we're using miles and pounds still :-)

Don't forget British thermal units, Btu's,
or BSP, British Standard Pipethread, and inspite of our metrication it used
across Europe too, inch=zoll=bulgado.

If you want a pint go to Starbucks for a "vinte", a full twenty ounce pint!

Our building timbers are measured in metric-feet = 300mm
Although nominal 2" or 50mm are common usage they are not referred to as
twobys -

Four-by-two was something else all together ! If not into rhyming slang it
was/is ? the size of a special piece of cloth used as a rifle pullthru.