> Q-emuLator version 2.3.4 for Windows has been released and can be
> downloaded
> at http://users.infoconex.com/~daniele/winql.html.
>
> The basic version is now available for FREE. It emulates the
> features of an
> unexpanded QL (but can also access QL floppy disks and the Windows
> file
> system) and its speed is limited to be roughly equivalent to that of
> a real
> QL. Registration is still required to access all of the extra
> emulator
> features and for much faster emulation speed.
I downloaded and installed this version. What you get is basically a
128K QL with QemuLator's known levels of compatibility and ability to
use any QDOS or Minerva ROM, and the possibility of using non-standard
48K ROMs and 16K ROM images like Toolkit 2. The earlier trial version
only gave you 30% of the speed of an unexpanded 68008 QL, but I think
it gave you the option of a small memory expansion. This trial version
does not allow ramdisks, parallel port, TCP/IP access, level 2 file
system or QXL.WIN file access, or expanded memory, so it is well worth
stumping up for the expanded version, but this free trial version does
run at the same speed as an original QL with 128K of memory and
supports up to 8 drives (which can be floppy drives or PC hard disk
directories) and you can use your preferred ROM version (it comes with
a version of Minerva). This unregistered 128K version is quite OK for
testing software on the emulator, or for running 128K software like
games or Superbasic programs.

If you opt to register for the expanded version, you get the missing
features and more. Examples of what you'll get with the expanded
registered version:
More RAM available
TCP/IP access (use Jonathan Hudson's Lynx, QL-FTP and email programs)
Level 2 filing system (i.e. directories)
Read and (new to this version) write to QXL.WIN, like QPC2 or QXL.
Ramdisks
Parallel printer port access
Much faster than the unregistered version (depends to some extent on
the speed of your PC).
Ability to run Gold Card SMSQ/E

And a little bonus: once registered you have access to QemuFast, a
much faster version, although not quite as compatible with some QL
software as the standard QemuLator (bearing in mind that a registered
QemuLator is already much faster than most people assume).

I guess QemuLator has lived in the shadow of QPC2 to some extent over
the years, which is a pity. I can see that QPC2 is good for those like
me who write programs to use the latest facilities, whereas QemuLator
might be a good choice for those who just want to write the occasional
superbasic program and run their existing QL software without being
too bothered about high colour and such things (e.g. people who return
to the QL after a period of absence).

I'm glad Daniele is still updating QemuLator and hope his work will
earn him some registration fees.