Marcel writes:

>> Im one of those weirdos who actually wants to keep text messages, or
>> SMSes,
>> as theyre known.
>
> You have not understood that only meaningless things are send through
> SMS that are not worth archiving? ;-)

A friend of mine may just have won his court case thanks to an SMS he had
the foresight to keep! (Mine are more likely to get me into trouble, but
what the hell! Id like to keep them all the same ;)

>> A more careful, though by no means exhaustive, trawl around this mad
>> world of mobile phones shows me that there are possibly only two
>> phones, very fancy and very expensive, that will do what I ask.
>
> Huh? Even my 3 year old Siemens S55 can do that just fine. Backup
> (phone or SIM memory), restore, sending of messages. All possible
> through the PC software.

Just check that it will actually save your text messages on the PC, 'cause
thats the one that seems to be as rare as hen's teeth.

> In theory it could even be done using QPC, as it uses a virtual COM
> channel to do the bluetooth connection (or a direct serial connection,
> in that case you have a COM line anyway).

This one has a blutooth COM port, but for some unfathomable reason it has
set its heart on COM10!. Will check if other software has grabbed the lower
ports and try to change it.

Dont know whether I have enough tinkering juice left in me to attempt to put
it to use. Apart from the messages thing, Id love to be able to extract the
contact information to synchonise with my Psion Archive database which,
although I use M$ Orifice for some work-related tasks, is still my main
address book. I only use OLX for email addresses.

>> In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas? I dont want solutions that
>> involve facilities supplied by service providers. They are half-baked at
>> best. Im looking for a programming solution, possibly. Does anyone have
>> any
>> experience of java for mobile phones, for example?
>
> Java applications usually do not have access to things like the SIM
> memory, unless the manufacturer provided a system specific library for
> doing so.

I think this phone is Symbian based. The program suggested by Jon Dent
doesnt install anything on the phone, so presumably the OS provides hooks to
access the SIM and/or phone memory.

Thanks for your helpful response!

Per