extdgl42 wrote:
> OK, formally reserved. See everyone (excuse me, that's " y'all ", another
> good Southernism) there. Unless I sober up when I actually get around to
> calculating the distance. Reminds me of the German relatives of friend Dita
> who visited the US figuring, oh, they'd drive from East TN to California in a
> day or so ... cross country as they did in Europe.
Great you are coming.

First story
-----------
Stuart H, Lau and I drove from NY to Oakridge all those years ago, and
that *seemed* a long way.
We decided to *do* Manhatten only on the way back.
We drove out of JFK on Van Wyk Expressway. We knew there was a left for
the South route. We missed it as the sign we say simply gave the local
name of the road! "Get off  at the next exit Lau".  He struggled right
to cross maybe 8 lanes, but the next exit was in the middle!  We
struggled back to the middle (much hooting at us!).  The next exit was
on the right. ... so we carried on straight and ended up in Manhatten at
Empire State Building 34th Street!  It was easy then to get on the right
road!

We came down on the freeway, which seemed to take for ever, even though
we drove non-stop almost through the night.
On the way back we had more time, so we took the Blue Ridge Parkway (as
immortalised by Laurel and Hardy - "The Lonesome Pine").  After almost a
whole day on this windy road (bendy not blowy!) we realised we still had
not covered half of it. We did not realise it was almost like driving
from the south to the top of the UK!   The US is a big country.

Second Story

Bill Cable, Phoebus and I (always seems to be three QLers!) drove to
Orlando.  It was sobering to see that just *one* entry on the long
Mapquest route list was 600 miles!

The US is a big country (8-)#

--
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://firshman.co.uk