In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick Chagouri-Brindle
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>I just thought I'd share a recent QL experience with everybody!  The
>company I work for is very keen on promoting personal development
>outside the normal boundaries at work. Think outside the box is one of
>the MD's catch-phrases.
>
>Anyway, as IT Manager of this company, it became my turn to organise
>something concerning to my field but not directly work related: so I
>organised a little presentation and history tour, using my collection of
>PCs as illustrations.  People were able to have a go, play with them,
>run programs and generally see how computers have developed over the
>years.  To illustrate my presentation, I used my ZX81 (the first PC I
>ever owned), BBC Model B, BBC Master, Spectrum+3, Amiga 1200, Z88 and of
>course the Sinclair QL.  I was wonderful to see the amount of fun people
>had with these older machines, and some of the younger members of the
>company were really surprised at what had constituted a computer "back
>then"!  It's such as shame that for many youngsters today, learning ICT
>(as the schools irritatingly insist on calling it) is simply learning
>how to use Microsoft products . . . .

It is ICT because it is Information Technology across the curriculum,
not just learning IT systems.

We use applications that have a purpose, to produce work ... like
PhotoShop and PageMaker in Graphics.

At present the software investment in programming is being put into PC
Applications.

>One of the most interesting comments was how "cool" the QL  looked . . .
>it seems that well-designed retro is in!!!!

Yes, the industrial design for Sinclair was "cool" at the time, and won
many awards.  It still remains cool.

--
Malcolm Cadman