In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David
McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 23:02 +0100, Peter Graf wrote:
>> I don't think Richard gave up UQLX. Some other QL wheels also need to be
>> turned, so there may be different priorities. Usually, if you email him,
>> he sends you more recent code.
>Then why is the old, uncompilable version still on his website, a site
>which hasn't been updated since 2002?
>
>This ties in with the problem that other people raised last night about
>the availability of documentation. There is too much work which has been
>done but which is inaccessible for others to build on.

I know that Dilwyn Jones has put most of the available documentation on
his web site, which is easy to access.

http://homepages.tersco.net/dilwyn.jones/index.html

Copyright issues and source code are different, although they can be
available is the author(s) can be tracked down for permission.

>One of the many reasons I have for preferring SuperBasic to XBasic is
>the availability of dbas. But this is another project which got
>abandoned. I may be out of date, but the last time I looked the version
>supplied with the commercial front end for it (can't remember the name)
>was older than the one I'm using (2.13). Quanta had a copy of the
>commented source code, not for inclusion in the library (why?), but they
>lost it ...
>
>I even bought a Q60 to stay in the QL world (a step further than most of
>those reading this rant!), but my experiences (recounted in QL Today)
>were hardly encouraging. Bad documentation and lack of help. For
>example, my query about how to run Text87 on it was circulated on the
>internet and in Quanta, yet it took two years to find the answer: by
>accident. By that time, I'd naturally switched to OpenOffice.
>
>I liked the QL and its operating system (rather Unix-like in a way), but
>I fear the QL community are their own worse enemies.

David, you should raise more issues about the Q60 on this list.

I don't own one myself, yet I know at least three users who are very
knowledgeable - Derek Stewart, David Gilham and Chris Cave.

Of course, there will be many others too who are either very experienced
or who can offer help.

No need to wait 2 years again ... :-(.

I will just listen in ... :-)

--