My original posting on this topic was a bit short of detail(!) so I now
offer J.Hudson's original README file which I found amongst my archives
with the compiler etc.

Christopher Cave

xtc68 : c68 cross compiler for Unix and DOS-like systems

Requirements
~~~~~~~~~~~~

386 or above with at least 4Mb of memory.

Distribution
~~~~~~~~~~~~

xtc68-linux.zip     ELF Binaries for Linux/i386
xtc68-dos.zip       DOS binaries for DOS (*), Win3.1, Win95, Win NT
xtc68-libs.zip      Latest lib and include files with correct path
                    for xtc68.
xtc68-cwsdpmi.zip   DPMI services for DJGPP DOS programs

(*) requires the freely distributable CWSDPMI DPMI extender for DOS.

The 'DOS-like' binary archive is cross-compiled (how appropriate!)
using DJGPP under Linux. This has the advantage that I do not have to
boot a DOS -like OS to compile this software. The downside is that
you're limited to 8.3 file names, even on Win95/NT. If you don't like
this, get the source code and recompile it yourself.

Components
~~~~~~~~~~

    as68[.exe]    as68 assembler
    qcpp[.exe]    GNU pre-processor
    c68[.exe]     c68 compiler
    qld[.exe]     linker
    qcc[.exe]     compiler driver

    ql.mak        Makefile definitions to use native Make programs
                  to compile xtc68 programs

Environment Variables
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

QLINC   Directory for c68 *.h files
        default = usr/local/qdos/include
                  [usr\local\qdos\include]
        Note that sys_ files are stored in a real sub-directory.
        sys_stat_h -> sys/stat.h [sys\stat.h]

QLLIB   Directory for c68 library and startup files
        default = usr/local/qdos/lib
                  [usr\local\qdos\lib]

        The library and startup files are taken verbatim from the c68
        distribution.

C68PATH Used by qcc[.exe] to find other c68 programs (if they are not
        in PATH).

Using the supplied defaults, and having the binaries in your PATH, you
should not need these.

Make
~~~~

xtc68 works well with existing Unix, DOS and Win make programs (for
example GNU make, Watcom's WMAKE or Borland's maker.

LD extensions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
qld[.exe] adds an extension to standard LD.

    qld -oprog @files.lnk

The @file contains the files to be linked, this is to bypass the
restrictive 16bit DOS command line limit of 128 bytes.

The @file may contain many lines of .o files separated by space. For
example, the DOS version of the QTPI ld qtpi.lnk file is:

 qtp.o qtpmenu.o qsetup.o qsdata.o pqem.o pqproc.o pqset.o qedit.o
 pqmenu.o pqdial.o qdsetup.o qvt100.o xprstuff.o about.o xprwin.o
 hotload.o view.o xprthing.o wild.o qserver.o minnymb.o srvspawn.o
smagic.o
 litem.o menu-cho.o menu.o menusubs.o menu-chk.o menu-tex.o list.o
 menu_bfr.o resize.o
 qsprites.o jcall.o qtasks.o qemasm.o qfont1.o qfont2.o qfont3.o qfont4.o
 qchar.o spawn.o picker.o qconfig.o mono.o ioopen3.o hvers.o

The following link command is used.

    ld -oQTPI @qtpi.lnk -lhotthg -lcsm

(note the position of the @qtpi.lnk option and the -l (library) options.)

In addition, xtc68 qld adds an extra 8 bytes to the excutable, the first
long word contains the text "XTcc", the second long word contains the QDOS
data size requirement for the program.

XTcc blocks are supported by a number of cross-platform support
programs such as INFOZIP zip/unzip, qltools, and the uQLx qcp/qls
programs.

Other Issues
~~~~~~~~~~~~

To avoid confusion with other compilers, some of the c68 images are
renamed.

        CC = qcc
        LD = qld
        CPP = qcpp

The easiest way to handle this is to have a makefile 'include' file,
for example:

# ql.mak
CC = qcc
LD = qld
AS = as68
CPP = qcpp

%.o : %.s
        $(CC) $(ASFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

And start your c68 make files with

include ~/ql.mak        # or where ever it's hidden

I suggest the c68 files go into /usr/local/bin.

This works really nicely with 'make -j' for mega fast compiles.

Credits
~~~~~~~
xtc68 is based entirely on the work of Dave and Keith Walker.  I am
grateful to Dave and Keith for making the complete source code
available.

xtc68 is compiled with GNU/gcc for Linux and DJGPP for DOS.

xtc68 carries NO WARRENTY. You use it at your own risk.

xtc68 is (sort of) maintained by:

      Jonathan R Hudson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

FOR MORE INFO on c68, including all documentation and source code,
please look at:

       http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/DaveWalker/

This release of xtc68 includes all binary, library and include patches
to 24/02/97, including support of wm_rptrt ().