Andy Barber writes:

<>
I have decided that I'll get my old Pentium 1 computer out of my
> Lock-up, Format the HD, Install Ubuntu Linux, & emulate the QL on
> that machine. I have the QL Emulators' CD, which has TK2 on it,
has it also got Minerva on the CD as well?

The best QL emulator is undoubtedly QPC2, (commercial). But sadly it doesnt run under Linux. Also it doesnt run very satisfactorily under Wine ( - although it almost does!).

If you have an old copy of Windows kicking around, you should be able to run it in a virtual machine under Linux and run QPC2 on that (Ive tested the free VirtualBox on a Vista machine and run QPC2 quite happily on a virtual W2k. VirtualBox runs under Linux too.

I havent tested Qemulator, another, excellent commercial emulator, in the same way. It should be interesting to see whether it runs under Wine. I couldnt get QL2k to run under Wine, but I havent yet thoroughly debugged my setup and the boot process - there is still hope.

Last but not least, theres uQLx, which runs under Linux and is free. Not much development seems to be happening on that front at the moment. It doesnt do hicolor and Im not sure it will run SMSQ/E, the latest, and some would say the best, incarnation of Qdos. However, it is very much to the taste of old Linux aficionados, Qdos purists and SMSQ/E license dissenters (Im not commenting, only referring ;-) Hardware purists, of course, excluded.

And this is where you may have to choose. Where lies your identity in QL-hell?

Only joking. Welcome to the group(s)!

Now what I would like to know is how does QDOS/SuperBasic interface
> with the Linux TCP/IP ports, are their any Internet related QL
> programs existing, (Browser, Mail, News, RSS, FTP, etc.)?

We all write our own here.

Per