Dear QL Today subscribers,

Almost three weeks ago Jochen posted an email on this list about the shipping
of the latest issue of QL Today. In it he mentioned problems with QBranch that
meant we were unable to print and ship the UK orders:

"As I have not had an order from QBranch for their QL Today issues and no
replies to emails, I cannot predict when the readers who subscribed with
QBranch will get their issues. The earliest date I can print and ship them will
be week 41 (2nd Oct. week), provided, I get the order in time."

Much to our surprise not one person reacted to this news, either publicly or
privately. We wonder if any readers have made contact with QBranch and, if so,
what the reaction has been.

I am sorry to have to inform our readers who subscribe via QBranch that we are
still unable to print and ship their copies. QBranch has made no attempt to
contact us since Jochen  posted his email. This means we have no order for the
UK copies; no payment for printing and shipping; no indication of the number of
subscribers. Given that we are at the start of a new volume and that readers
have just paid their subscriptions, this is a very serious matter.

In Volume 12 Issue 3 page 57 I outlined the structure of QL Today. I would
advise you to read this article so that you understand the legal position. Two
quotes are relevant:

"....the continental and UK arms of QL Today are currently two distinct
entities with separate administration, distribution and financing."

"Technically UK readers who order the magazine via QBranch do not have a direct
subscription to QL Today. Their contract is with QBranch who then buy in the
copies from the publisher."

The present issue of QL Today was published on time and readers who subscribe
via JMS have already had their copies. We are annoyed and frustrated that we
are unable to supply QL Today to about half our readers because of the failure
of QBranch to order and pay the agreed pre-payment of issue 1 of the new
volume.

Unfortunately the legal situation is that at QL Today we have very little
leeway in this matter because without an order we do not have a contract with
QBranch for the present volume. We suggest every reader who subscribes via
QBranch now contact them and ask why they have failed to place an order with QL
Today. Please let us know what happens as if this does not produce a result we
shall have to suggest alternative and stronger courses of action.

Please feel free to contact me privately if you wish to do so,

Best wishes,

Geoff