I can't believe the shoddy service you get from your ISPs over there/ Shameful!

Oh, and Hi!

Dave Park
Hi Dave, welcome back (or back from lurking, as the case may be).

I guess service on the whole (in the towns and cities at least) probably isn't as bad as my personal experience might imply.

We are (1) a bit out in the sticks here, and (2) outside the Orange main area. So we get what's called a "basic" service. At least it almost never goes off completely, which is a blessing, just this problem with the variable speeds. I keep meaning to switch providers and never actually get round to it (read too many horror stories in Computeractive magazine about switching problems!), so that part of it is my fault.