On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Marcel Kilgus <ql-us...@mail.kilgus.net>wrote:

> Tobias Fröschle wrote:
> >> Another option already mentioned (and perhaps with the highest
> >> probability to actually work) would be sernet.
> > ...talking to myself again???
>
> Sernet is actually a pretty comfortable solution, albeit not the
> fastest. Isn't it supplied with QPC even? I think there are some
> articles on how to set it up on Dilwyns site.
>
> > But: Following the serial route, there would be another option:
> > zip up the files on the Q40, and use one of the ancient terminal
> > programs supporting X/Y/Z-modem on both QPC and Q40 to transfer the zip
> > file over. This will take ages as well, but you wouldn't need to sit and
> > watch (or even juggle around with disks)
>
> This is probably significantly faster than Sernet, but also a bit
> harder to set up.
>
> Actually I used this method to debug and streamline the QPC serial
> port drivers, a PC terminal program on one side and QPC with QTPI on
> the other (using Z-Modem). I spend days tuning everything to get a
> constant 10-11kb/s out of the serial ports...
>
> Marcel

Since you're all coming up with such practical solutions, here's what I
would do:

I would set up the webcam on the destination PC, and aim it at the Q40's
display. I would then copy the files in 32 kbyte chunks into the video
memory, and have the camera film them. At that point I would write a quick
and dirty app to scan the video image and extract the bytes from the video
image.

If you cannot do that, just run OCR s/w on the destination machine and COPY
the drive to the Q40's screen as characters.

If that's STILL too complicated, simply put a directory listing of the drive
on floppy and present that to the destination machine, put an ethernet card
on the Q40, then run the public domain web server, and have the destination
machine request all the files from the Q40 web browser ;)

Too much coffee.

Dave