  From: Tony Firshman
  To: ql-us...@q-v-d.com
  Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 9:08 AM
  Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] The Spring 2011 QL Survery

  Peter Graf wrote, on 13/Feb/11 23:10 | Feb13:
  > Hi Marcel,
  >
  >> In fact it's now the other way round, there is no native hardware that
  >> can match QPC in speed or features. That's why I was a bit mystified
  >> by your choices. Just saying.
  >
  > no offense intended at all, but are you not counting the now much faster
  > PC hardware (which you didn't design) and the Windows features (which
  > you didn't write, e.g. TCP/IP) as QPC achievements?
  >
  > If the speed and features were part of your system, written in a QL
  > compatible form, I would sort of agree. But the sorry fact that
  > Freescale (former Motorola) makes no new 68k chips, is really not a QPC
  > achievement.
  >
  > There has been about a decade without new QL hardware, and maybe even
  > you might have noticed that this has not really vitalized the QL. Even
  > your own emulator will finally become pointless if nobody cares about
  > the original(s) anymore. So why not allow a little "bias" toward QL
  > hardware once in a while?
  >
  > It is really really hard to make new QL hardware possible... I find
  > public statement that QL hardware "can not match" in features somewhat
  > depressing... Wouldn't a new and cool device in a QL's microdrive slot
  > be a feature as well? To "see and feel" something is a feature for me -
  > we humans are not fully virtualized... I can not somehow beam QPC into
  > my QL and match this ;-)
  >
  > Not everyone is biased toward "emulating SMSQ/E under Windows" - which
  > is what QPC is restricted to. Qemulator(Fast) is very fast emulator as
  > well. Unlike QPC it allows to run a choice of operating systems which is
  > a big feature and major point when it comes to define a "platform". Just
  > saying. Live and let live :-)

  ... and we should welcome *both*.
  I too (of course) prefer to use *real* hardware. It is good to be able
  to window another system inside a laptop ..... well inside an XP
  emulation inside my macbook (8-)#

  However I don't get the same feel, like Peter.

  Of course one could then start a debate about black box vs Aurora and
  Qn0 (8-)#

  Live and let *ALL* live.

  Tony
  --
  QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
          t...@firshman.co.uk     http://firshman.co.uk