On 22/02/2011 17:53, Tony Firshman wrote:
Malcolm Lear wrote, on 22/Feb/11 16:45 | Feb22:

On 22/02/2011 16:26, Tony Firshman wrote:
Phill Harvey-Smith wrote, on 22/Feb/11 16:18 | Feb22:
David Tubbs wrote:
At 09:48 22/02/2011 +0000, you wrote:
On the subject of backplanes......

I have one of these :

http://www.rwapadventures.com/images/q+4-interface.jpg

But alas don't have the little interface board that connects it to
the QL, does anyone have one that can take a couple of high quality
piccies of it, or beter still have a schematic ?

Surely you you just plug it into the QL, mem'expansion or just ribbon
cable.

Well yes but perhaps I didn't make it clear, I don't have the small card
pictured on the left of that picture, just the big metal 4 slot
backplane.... and that deffo won't plug directly into the QL the cable's
not long enough.......
... but I wouldn't bother even trying.
This Quad device is about the worst electrically if I remember
correctly. It was also pretty bad mechanically.

I don't think they realised how noisy the QL bus was when extended.

I'm not sure that's a problem. We had a lab full of QL's here at Essex
University each fitted with an adapter bringing ribbon cable out to a
full width 3U rack. The racks had memory, floppy, parallel, serial, and
IO cards. All worked without any problems. However the card at the QL
end had full data and address buffers. I've just checked and the ribbon
cable was about a foot long plus of course the length of the rack (18
inches).

... but what expansion card? I am talking really Gold Card and SGC.

Tony
Standard QL's.

Malcolm