That sounds great Dave, so what help do you need from me (that I can do)?

Lee
- Back to the QL-
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dave Park
  To: ql-us...@q-v-d.com
  Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:07 PM
  Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] 57 images of dismantling a Sinclair ZX-81.

  On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Lee Privett <lee.priv...@gmail.com> wrote:

  > see there is another thing, if only I had JS ROMs :(

  The card I'm proposing could hold a 128KByte or 256KByte PROM. By manually
  switching one (128K) or two (256K) Address lines, I can manipulate any 64K
  block of the PROM to appear at $0000.

  Thus, it would be perfectly possible to have a JM+TK2, JS+TK2, Minerva+TK2
  image, and a spare 64K area.

  I could go further and allow people to submit a preference for order,
  toolkit, etc. If they supplied the image (which implies they owned it) I
  could build the image and burn the PROM to suit.

  I keep saying PROM because I have a box of 1000 256KByte PLCC PROMS in the
  workshop, so they're essentially free...

  I just need to check out the chip select lines on the two ROM sockets to see
  how they operate - someone has said that in the $8000 socket, CS asserts for
  the entire 32K block, but to me that suggests a conflict with the ROM port.
  I'll want to check it out, unless someone can definitively explain the
  address decoding logic from $0000 to $C000... Tony?

  Back on topic, I was amused by how in describing the ICs of the ZX81, the
  poster included the date and location codes... EG: P8233 indicates the IC
  was made in the Philippines in week 33 of 1982. You just need to look up
  each manufacturer to find out what the country/factory codes are.

  And the big metal thing? It's a heatsink.

  Dave