On 30/05/2012 12:07, Dilwyn Jones wrote:
I was going to put mine down then it asked for a confirmation email...Nice try i
wonder what they send you after you have clicked ????

In my case, absolutely nothing
Neil
Some do, some don't. Most sites force you to enter an email address for validation to prevent automated spamming and possibly malicious intent (someone signing you up to something without your knowledge - stops me signing up every QL user I know to QL Forum and this list without their knowledge, for example).

Must admit, if a site I don't know wants an email address from me, I usually avoid it if I'm unsure.

That said, there are some "temporary" (short-lived) email address services you can use just for signing up to websites like this to avoid using your "regular" email address - once the short-life email address dies after you've had long enough to sign up and respond to a validation email address, they can't spam your "regular" email address if you are unsure about a site.

I suppose it pays to have an extra email address you can use just for purposes like this, to control spam etc. That way, once you are satisfied the website is bona fide, they will let you alter your email address later to your regular email address if you wish. I'd probably go as far as to say that unless you are 100% happy with a site, NEVER use your regular email address to sign up to anything.

Dilwyn Jones

My son-in-law is in the computer industry and I was discussing the source of spam, and he has given me, on his own domain, ten email addresses which he can change as needed. You "plant" one when you are asked to respond with a contact, and if it goes further, you know who to blame. Works a treat to have email addresses under one's own control independent of service ;provider. He recommends having one's own domain which only costs about £5 pa.

Bryan H