In message <507e723b.5010...@dunbar-it.co.uk>, Norman Dunbar <nor...@dunbar-it.co.uk> writes
Hi Malcolm,

On 16/10/12 21:45, Malcolm Cadman wrote:

I have purchased a 10 Port USB powered Hub, from Maplins, on offer at
14.99ukp. Two ports upright, and four each at front and back. In a small
and neat housing.

That I am now using with Pi. So plenty of room for any future expansions
and experiments ..... :-)

Have you read this http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/2012/08/the-dangers-of-cheap-usb-hubs/ - you need to be sure that your power supply is man enough (500mA per port - so you should have a 5A supply) plus, there's a link to a disassembly and testing of a cheap power supply supplied with other USB hubs. Interesting viewing and explains a lot!

Does your Pi's power light come on when the Pi is connected only to the uplink to the Hub while the Pi is powered off and the hub powered on? If so, it's bad for your Pi and completely not USB 2.0 Compliant.

Hopefully, yours will be ok.

Umm, applied the 'Dunbar' test to 10 Port USB - it is a cerulian USB 2.0.

The two upright (top loading) are designed to be hot swappable, whilst the others can be used for everyday usage.

Of course, no need for the extra power supply, when just using a keyboard and mouse.

--
Malcolm Cadman