Thank you for being understanding, John.

If we get to do ethernet, it will be integral to the UltraQ board and will
be fitted to every UltraQ made. There would probably be a standalone board
too, because it would be a horrible limitation to have to buy UltimIDE plus
the UltraQ upgrade just to get ethernet - if for example you already have a
SGC.

Here are the physical/dimensional constraints:

SuperRAM will initially be sold as a thru-conn interface for the QL. When
the UltimIDE is released, it will have a riser to accept SuperRAM and,
eventually, UltraQ. The riser version of SuperRAM will have a pin header
facing down, instead of a DIN connector facing right. Same for the UltraQ.
Converting a thru-conn SuperRAM to a daughtercard SuperRAM means removing
the DIN connector to add the turned pins facing down, and adding a single
solder bridge on the power supply (the riser feeds regulated 5v power.)
UltimIDE will be sold with or without SuperRAM, and with or without UltraQ
when that becomes available. Thus, a bare 0k or SuperRAM 896K equipped
UltimIDE can be upgraded to a 4MB UltraQ  with ethernet later, and the
SuperRAM can be adapted for use in a BBQL, sold to someone with a bare
UltimIDE, or possibly traded in for credit.

*As currently planned*, the UltimIDE sticks out of the QL case a very small
amount - about 20mm. The UltraQ will stick out slightly further, about 40
or 50mm. *This might change.* However, this creates a very low profile
expansion and a not overly-long QL. This set-up can also be used in cased
backplane systems. The intention is for the ethernet port to face backwards
from the rear left corner of the UltraQ board. The floppy would face
rearwards to the right of it. Both connectors would be mounted on the lower
side of the PCB. LEDs would be on the top side of the PCB facing up,
visible through a small slot in the black ABS cover.

I hope to show veroboard mock-ups of the two boards in a few weeks, once
SuperRAM is released.

I have no preference for any chip, or hesitancy about any of the
candidates. They're just chips that would have a schematic done then be
incorporated onto a PCB that I'd assemble. I'm not going to be doing the
drivers, it's all just hardware to me. The chip doesn't matter to me at
all. It matters to whoever has to code for it. That's why I turned it over
to you, humble code-tweakers.

Which device is most likely to have code written for it that gets it to a
useful state, be it a 'driver' or SuperBASIC routines that peek and poke
their way to victory or assembly or whatever?

Dave

Dave Park
Sandy Electronics, LLC
d...@sinclairql.com