Earlier this month I had a brief email exchange with a returnee who will be at QLis30. He queried whether there would be any former QL luminaries at the workshop. This was not for nostalgia purposes, but he instead would like to learn from them. Why did they do what they did? Why did they not do other things? What were the problems that prevented them doing what they would like?

To some extent it echoed some remarks made by Simon Carr on the QL Forum:

"Speaking as only a recent QL user, and having followed this thread since last year, I have to admit that I am not sure what a QL is 30 event would be about, or what its purpose would be, beyond a group of people getting together and saying 'hurrah'. As such, I can't really build much personal enthusiasm for what would currently seem to be a rather nebulous event.---

---Personally, what I would be REALLY interested in would be some event in which some of the experts from this forum, QUANTA and perhaps even some of those involved in the development of the QL ---- being brought together to present a 'how to be inspired with a QL' event, and one that is very practical in nature. Just something a little more dynamic than a retrospective view over 30 years."

I don't know whether there will be many returnees at QLis30, but I wonder whether we should take a look at their needs. After all I don't want the workshop to be purely a nostalgia event, but I want it to give a new impulse to the QL. We owe a lot to the returnees especially in the UK. Indeed without them the UK scene would have fairly stagnant over the last five years.

I would be interested in hearing what returnees would like from us,

Best wishes,

Geoff