Op Thu, 08 Jun 2017 00:38:56 +0200 schreef via Ql-Users <ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com>:

Hi All (but especially Wolfgang, Tony, Marcel or anybody else involved in
SMSQ/E development and/or source maintainance),
(...)

1) SMSQ/E for Aurora does not read anymore DD floppy disks. Everything was working till 2.91. From the tests did on some SMSQ/E version we found 2.95
has the bug, 2.98 crashes, 3.03 has the bug

A quote from my email 17/03/2012
--->
This issue also was raised some years ago.
IIRC, the 2.91 source was not available to compare and check where it went wrong.
--->

2) SMSQ/E for QXL
in DISP_COLOUR 3:
- DISP_SIZE 512,256 - works OK
- DISP_SIZE 640,480 - works OK
- DISP_SIZE 800,600 - no error but the resolution is 640x480
- DISP_SIZE 1024,768 - no error but the resolution is 640x480

in DISP_COLOUR 0:
- DISP_SIZE 512,256 - works OK
- DISP_SIZE 640,480 - works OK
- DISP_SIZE 800,600 - no error but the screen is corrupted and unreadable
- DISP_SIZE 1024,768 - no error but the screen is corrupted and unreadable

So the maximum possible resolution is 640x480

Provided the SMSQE.EXE is correctly configured for the maximum size, the unknown factor is the hardware it's running on.
In mode 4, 1024x768 is not a problem here.
In mode 32 this results in 800x600 without screen corruption.
Both on my old hardware with 1MB graphics as on my current machine with 2MB graphics card. The RAM demand is quite high, even at 800x600 half my 8MB is gone after BOOT so it's debatable what the benefit is of m32@1024x768.

BAUD returns an error

No comment, never used the SER port from QXL.

3) SMSQ/E for Gold Card does not initialise external interface.

Up to v3.13 there was only 1 Gold/Aurora version so I have always used the Aurora .bin after that. When this point came up recently I tested the current GoldCard.bin which did not see my ROMdisq after it was LRESPR'd from there.

I guess it does not make sense to spend effort for SMSQ/E for QXL, but the issues on the GC/SGC/Aurora versions I think would deserve at least
A try.
N.3 maybe is just a question of understanding whether it makes sense to keep all these versions and in case link again the "Initalise QL ROM" where missing. The DD floppy bug would deserve a fix hoping all source codes of old versions are available as I think there are still quitesome users with GC/SGC/Aurora with DD disks.

To answer Wolfgang's question: My QXL2 and Aurora systems are mainly used for testing and can, because of the slow speed compared to QPC2, be revealing in how PE menus are being build up.
As long as I can keep an ISA machine alive I will keep the QXL2 going.

Bob

--
The BSJR QL software site at: "http://members.upc.nl/b.spelten/ql/";