Da: Ql-Users [mailto:ql-users-boun...@lists.q-v-d.com] Per conto di via
Ql-Users
Inviato: mercoledì 21 giugno 2017 09.59
A: ql-us...@q-v-d.com
Oggetto: Re: [Ql-Users] R: QxlwinReader

Hi Davide,

> The DD Unix utility might be of course an interesting option but maybe
> it could be more useful for SD cards written with the QL-SD interface
> rather than a Qubide hard disk (especially if it has more than one
> partition)

There might still be a misunderstanding, because the DD utitly is completely
useless for QL-SD.

DD can convert a raw media (Qubide formatted in this case) to an image file.

But QL-SD already has the Qubide partitions in an image file! It does *not*
have Qubide raw media, although that would have made it easier to get a
working driver.

The whole reason I initially wrote the QL-side FAT32 code, is to save the
step of converting raw media to image files. Or in other words, the basic
concept of QL-SD is *not* to need tools like DD.

On QL-SD you can directly read the Qubide image file from a PC, for instance
with QxlwinReader or an emulator.

By the way, the same approach could also be taken for Qubide IDE harddisks!
The IDE harddisk (or compact flash, etc.) could be formatted in FAT32, and
then have Qubide inside an image file like QL-SD. That way, DD would no
longer be needed. Now that the QL-side
FAT32 code is there, it could be re-used. Maybe Alain could comment on this?

The only remaining issue would be to convert old "raw" Qubide harddisks
once.

> I think maintaining compatibility and support of native QL hardware
> should have some priority.

I agree, insasmuch retro-computing becomes pointless if it lives only on
emulation. Whereever I saw people returning to the QL in the recent years,
it was hardware-related.

All the best
Peter