I dont know of an easy way. It seems to be a feature of Wman. The two
solutions I can suggest are:

1. Two-step approach: Have a keypress, say TAB, to select the MAW, then
press the relevant key.

2. Hidden Loose Items: If there are not too many items in the MAW, and they
remain the same throughout the session, add some hidden Loose Items to the
main menu. Hidden LIs are buttons with no dimensions at a convenient
out-of-the-way location in the main window, that have a selection keystroke
as their only property. Make those selection keys the same as for the MAW
ones and let them perform the same actions, that way, whichever window the
pointer is in the same keystrokes will lead to the same actions seamlessly.

Per