Hi,

the problem is that these parameters are likely to vary from version to version, as they are offsets into the file...


Your best bet is probably to adapt your program to the latest version.


Wolfgang

A question about QBase and QMenu.

The menu  extensions are used fairly extensively in QBase. However, the
program was originally written in 1998 with whatever version of QMenu was
current then, and it doesn't seem to work properly with the later version
(version 7.66) which is distributed with QPC.

I also have a version 5.06, which appears to work much better with QBase,
and I thought it might be a good idea to link it into QBase with
Q-Liberator and avoid problems for people using later versions.

The other possibility is to update the QBase code, but for this I would
need a manual, which seems to be unavailable (is it really still
commercial?). I did purchase a copy of QMenu in the 1990s, but I can't find
the manual, which I assume is buried somewhere in my attic.

So, does anyone know the correct parameters for linking menu_rext into a
Q_Liberator compiled program?

Thanks,

D.

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 7:42 AM, Daniel Baum <dmb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

In my previous posting I forgot to mention another new feature: The
tabular view no longer attempts to load the whole file at once. It can now
be paged up and down using the left and right arrow buttons. This way you
can load large files without hitting any memory limitations.

The page size and the scroll size are both parameters that eventually I
intend to put in a Config block to the user can alter them.

Thanks to Bob Spelten for pointing out the need for this.

Rgds,

Daniel

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Daniel Baum <dmb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Here is the new version of QBase.

Changes:

- Loads in 512x256 resolution, and is resizable.
- May be called with a command-line parameter, e.g. ex
flp1_Qbase_obj;'flp1_data_dbs'
- Lots of refactoring. The eagle-eyed among you may notice that it's a
lot smaller than it was.

Tested on QPC2 with SMSQ/E 3.31, Q-Emulator with SMSQ/E 3.31

Unlike the previous version, this one also works on Q-Emulator with
Minerva. I couldn't get it to work on a JS ROM. It reported "Channel not
open", and I've no idea why.

Is it important to anyone to run QBase on original QL hardware? Testing
with Q_Emulator and Minerva at "QL speed" it appears to be extremely slow,
especially when switching to tabular mode. I could try to get it to run a
bit faster if anyone is interested. I hadn't remembered just how much
faster QPC is than a real QL until I started using Q-Emulator.

Download the new QBase here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4s3fm0rm84mxfn7/QBase.zip?dl=0

Currently I have numbered this version 0.99. It will become version 1.0
one it's been tested and bugfixed

Finally, I'd like to give an honourable mention to MasterBasic by Ergon
Development (Davide Santachiara). It made 80s-style program editing
bearable (almost...). The more massive refactoring was done with Notepad++
on Windows.

Regards to all,

D.


On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Darren Branagh via Ql-Users <
ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com> wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Have you released any of your updates yet?

Just wondering if they can be tested.

Darren Branagh

Sent from My Android Phone.

On 10 Sep 2017 23:18, "Bob Spelten via Ql-Users" <
ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com>
wrote:

Op Sun, 10 Sep 2017 20:19:22 +0200 schreef Daniel Baum via Ql-Users <
ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com>:

One more thing:

I should add that limiting the number of displayed records to 1000
works
fine, so I could fix the problem by using a paging arrangement.

The test _dbs has 3111 records by 6 fields making 18666 menu items.
That is well within the limit of items (<32K) WMAN2 can handle in the
AW.
Records times Fields must be less.
But there is also a limit in S*Basic of 65K for indexing second and
third
dimensions, in this case Fields x Field_length (including length word).
As you used Fields as the first dimension instead, 2nd (Records: 3111)
times 3rd (length: 20 +2) would be just too much.
As records will in most cases be the highest number, making it the
first
dimension is the best choice.
So checking these limits and using paging is the only option for a
large
database that exceed these limits.

Bob

--
The BSJR QL software site at: "http://members.upc.nl/b.spelten/ql/";
_______________________________________________
QL-Users Mailing List

_______________________________________________
QL-Users Mailing List




_______________________________________________
QL-Users Mailing List



_______________________________________________
QL-Users Mailing List

Reply via email to