Hi Peter, the version of menuconfig I have is 3.36 and is dated 2003.

I have configured both the keyboard and message language from English to
German - still boots OK. And then the same from german to french and it
boots normally and finally French back to English and it boots OK.
The version of menuconfig on Dilwyn's site is 3.34
Cheers

Duncan