Giorgio,

nothing dangerous here. DEC VMS, for example, does it in exactly in the same
way.

The danger you seem to see (application sets a backup date, other app uses
something different) is circumvented by supplying an old "full" backup to any
incremental one for the programs to compare. In case you have none, the backup
program will automatically do a full backup and initialise the time stamps.

Dangerous is when you use the backup timestamp for something else....

Tobias