Hi Giorgio,

but the applications can change any part of the header, especially if the user
has DJToolkit, Turbo Toolkit, TK2 etc. So should we stop using file lengths,
data space, file types etc?

Not once has my own backup system been compimised by any application writing to
the header, nor have any of my users, since 1989/1990, ever reported a problem.
I think it should be safe.

And speaking as a Database Administrator, what makes you think that a separate
database is any safer - anyone could change it.

Cheers,
Norm.