In case anyone is not following the thread at QL Forum, you might, possibly, maybe, perhaps be interested to know that there is some work ongoing to bring the Free Pascal Compiler to the QL.

This was started as a sort of joke project back in QLVember (I hate those made up "month" names!) but Marcel, myself and a few others have been doing some work with "Chain-Q", the instigator, and we are slowly bringing an up to date Pascal compiler to the QL.

Well, it's a cross compiler actually, but the executables it generates can indeed be executed on the QL/QPC/etc. Dare I mention, we get Object Oriented programming now? (Don't tell Tony Tebby!)

If you wish to follow along, the thread is at https://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3057 and I have created a document for Linux users in order to show the processes and software required to build the cross compiler, and brief notes on how to use it. The document is at https://github.com/NormanDunbar/FPC-CrossCompiler-QL/releases/latest and this link will always take you to the latest version.

The document is written from a Linux point of view as that is what I'm using. If anyone wants to pick it up and run with it on Windows, I'd be grateful for any nots etc that you may have on the matter so that I can bring it up to date for Windows users too.

Anyone using MacOS? That might also be helpful.

The compiler is in an early state at the moment, but we do have simple programs working. I'm currently writing/building/testing (and repeat!) the SysUtils unit to get that working.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar