I have the original software called SMSQ somewhere at home - I'll search
for it when I get home.

There is a more modern version of the operating system software called
SMSQ/E, the 'e' standing for 'enhanced'. Main difference being that it has
the 'pointer environment' windowing system included. A bit like good old
QDOS with pointer environment, but much improved and enhanced.

This is available free of charge these days. It is available to download
and use from of charge from the Wolfgang Lenerz website at
https://www.wlenerz.com/smsqe/ (make sure you use the QXL version - it
exists for several systems)

There's not much by way of instruction there, so you may have to return
here for further help. Sadly I don't have a QXL these days so I might not
be the best to try to help.

If you aren't already on the QL Forum www.qlforum.co.uk I'd highly
recommend joining there - great bunch of helpful QL guys - it's free to
join but you will need to create an account to be able to post anything
there.

QX40 .... as there was a machine called the Q40 you cleverly joined them
both up!

Dilwyn