I wonder if part of the reason that this arose is that some BASICs
from that era just returned a null string "" if string slicing errors
arose, without an error message and people remembered that?

While that was probably convenient for the casual programmer, it must
have made debugging difficult if one of your slice variables went out
of range.

>> Bite me!!! ;-)
>
> I'd rather not...
The mind boggles, Wolfgang ...