>> why not simply use
>>
>> open#x, con
>> scr_xlim#x
>
>is it documented somewhere?

SCR_XLIM and SCR_YLIM most probably call iop.flim trap and this in
turn needs an open window - it returns the maximum possible outline of
a channel - this corresponds to maximum screen size if it's a primary
channel (e.g. #0 in BASIC), or the maximum outline that the secondary
windows can be set to within that primary.

Most extensions I've seen which return max screen dimensions call
iop.flim (I wrote one such pair of extensions FLIM_W and FLIM_H in the
DISPLAY_CDE article in a past QL Today), and all need either an open
channel to test, or if none supplied open a channel themselves. After
Marcel's comments, I'm sure we can assume that SCR_XLIM and SCR_YLIM
work in pretty much the same way as others I've seen.

The SMSQE manual I have hints at this but doesn't fully clarify it.
SCR_BASE and SCR_LLEN are described as accepting channel numbers,
SCR_XLIM and SCR_YLIM are not, but the description refers to maximum
size windows can be set to rather than screen size as such, implying
the behaviour of an iop.flim type extension.

--
Dilwyn Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]