In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Graf
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Hi Malcolm,
>
>>So the operating system on a Q60 is SMSQ ( in ROM ? ), which is loading
>>a complied version of Linux optimised for SMSQ ?
>>
>>What is the actual sequence of a Q60 startup ?
>
>QDOS/SMSQ boots from ROM. That takes just a few seconds. If you just want
>to use QDOS/SMSQ, here you are.
>
>If you want to start Linux, you simply execute the Linux loader, which is
>an QDOS/SMSQ application. You can do that from the commandline or your
>bootfile or any other basic program. That will start the Linux kernel,
>which will leave QDOS/SMSQ and take control over the Q60.
>
>To get back to QDOS/SMSQ you shutdown Linux and reboot QDOS/SMSQ.
>
>Q40/Q60 Linux is no QDOS/SMSQ application except for the loader. It is
>directly based on the Q40/Q60 hardware just like PC Linux is based on the
>Intel PC hardware. This is much more than just an optimization, it is a
>complete operating system port. An enormous work - Richard deserves the
>highest respect for this achievement.
>
>BTW if you want to run a QDOS application while using Linux on a Q60, you
>can use a special version of UQLX. Unlike emulators on a PC it can run QDOS
>programs native on the 68060, which is of course a lot faster.

Thanks for an excellent summary :-) ... that explains a lot, and much as
I expected.

I have not yet caught sight of a Q60 in real life, and only had brief
dealings with a Q40 at various QL Shows.

Keep up the good work, and make sure we all are informed of what can be
done with a Q60.

Richard has done 'sterling work' ...

--
Malcolm Cadman