Back in Feb, I asked regarding 1.44 disk formats as my Gold Card was having
difficulty in fomatting them (it'd go through the motions and then apparently
leave the disk unchanged).

Having finally got some time to do things, and got round to transferring stuff
from this PC <spit-ding> to my QL, and trying a post/quick format proggy, I've
now discovered what was going on:

The format did work(ish).  Only instead of storing the disk data in Side 0,
Track 0, Sector 1 (0-0-1), it was actually storing the data in Side 0, Track
3, Sector 1 (0-3-1).  After using direct sector access to copy this data in
0-3-1 to 0-0-1, the disk was then recognised in the other drive.

I then tried to copy some files onto the disk.  All appeared fine until I
tried it in the other drive, when it still showed a newly formatted empty
disk.

Checking this out, it appears to have changed the disk data in 0-3-1 again,
which the first drive seems to be reading as 0-0-1 (changing disks in this
drive [forcing a re-read of physical data] causes it to loose the dir listing;
but direct access still shows the change to 0-3-1, not 0-0-1 as it should be).

Copying the new 0-3-1 to 0-0-1 causes the other drive to give a messed up dir
listing.  [As does copying *-3/4/5-* to *-0/1/2-*.]

All this tells me is that 1.44M disk writing is apparently putting the data in
the wrong place on the disk.  (Except direct sector access which seems to work
fine.)

Any suggestions as to what is going wrong [and to get 1.44M disks working -
other than to cover the ID hole and format as 720K which does work]?