> Yes :-) ... you can force it to format Double Density or High Density.
>
> I hardly ever use the command myself, yet I think it is including a *D
> of a *H, after the disc name that does this.
>
> It seems you need to force a HD format.

D'oh!

Ta...that seems to work! (the *D or *H has to be in the 11th and 12th
positions)...now people have mentioned it, I vaguely remember reading summat
about it but not exactly wot it woz supposed to do.

Perhaps it 'formatted' it as HD, but then tried to write as ED or DD (min
allocation units are different)?  Who nose; who cares.