On 1/11/02 at 12:44 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>What equipment do you use to apply the etch-resist pattern to the
>boards, etch them, and then bond them together?
>Is it all very expensive for a hobbyist to produce one-off boards for
>experiments & prototypes?

The real problem is the thru-hole plating, the chemistry is 'interesting'
not to mention expensive. Apart from that, single or two layer non-plated
can be made quite cheaply and VERY precisely.
I used to do that a lot - and would still be doing it if only I could find
a source of highly concentrated hydrogen perxide and not immediately be
branded suspicios with terrorist overtones.
You can get blank boards that have the photo-resist pre-applied. Film can
be produced using drafting transparency and a laser printer. For very fine
geometry boards 600DPI is a must and you have to experiment because passing
the papaer through the printer changes the dimensions. Fortunately, most
PCB design programs have the capability to enter correction factors. I have
done hundreds of boards this way, some with tracks and spacings down to
8/1000" - more than good enough for even the smallest SMD components.
Laminating could be a problem, but it is not insurmountable, especially for
small boards. It is DIRTY though :-(

Nasta