----- Original Message -----
From: Phoebus R. Dokos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: [ql-users] Virus

Hi Geoff,
the singular MOST important thing you need to do to get rid of worms of
that kind is....
to get rid of Outlook you are using :-)

You wouldn't have any trouble with Eudora for example :-)
Thanks for the advice, but I blame myself more than Microsoft. My system for
catching viruses worked perfectly, but somehow when I was checking its
origins I managed to open it without realising. I am kicking myself for
being so stupid. As you said in the other message Norton did not detect it,
including Norton 2002! However their download service did. No serious harm
was done to my system. The virus had infected only 3 files + boot, but all
files were assessed as irreparable. However everything is working
satisfactorily without them.

I am just glad I detected it so quickly. I noticed when defragging my hard
disk. I got a message that defragging was being restarted because the disk
contents had changed. That could only be a virus! In fact the main attack
appeared to be on the hard disk and I got the impression the virus was not
too infectious. I checked 8 floppies I had used during the infection and all
were clean.

I was more worried about infecting other users. I think there is someone on
the list who has the virus, perhaps unwittingly, but is it in their own
interest to find it and destroy. In the meantime I have added more
precautions to both incoming and outgoing mail.

Geoff Wicks

PS Marcel, you may be jealous of me, but I would not wish the experiences of
the last weekend on my worst enemy ;-).