On 15 Mar 2002, at 2:43, Phoebus Dokos wrote:

> I suggested Source forge due to the many tools available. CVS etc. and not
> to suggest total anarchy!
Good!

> I do agree in any case that for an OS a "tighter" control should be
> implemented.
> Don't forget that the project manager in any case is the one that handles
> the CVS tree and regulates submissions.

To be quite frank, I'm not really familiar with that. But I'm learning...

> On top of that I don't believe that the core of the OS should be changed.
> What should be changed (and normalised) is the way drivers are written etc...

That already is normalised in a certain way. What most of us want
to do is change the drivers (e.g. take out the slave blocks), I
presume.

> I think that the Open SMS project should begin, by going through the
> sources and completely documenting them first and then start doing changes
> to bring all the versions on all the machines to the same level.
> Additionally a fully documented source would be:

.. a shortage of income for Jochen Merz.

is that what we want?

> 1. An Invaluable tool for all programmers
> 2. A good reference point to start if we are to step up SMS to a different
> platform (yeah yeah I know... don't shoot!)

Oh, by all means, if we can get

I must point out, though, that I do not, for one minute, believe that
even a better, faster etc... SMS will be able to break out of its
current niche. Others have tried (e.g. Beos) - and they had MUCH
better tolls than we have now... In that, at least, I agree with Tim
Swenson: let's try to make a nicer OS for us, who are already
using it, not try to build something that might lure in hypothetical
new users.

Wolfgang
www.wlenerz.com