On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 02:15:12PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2002, at 11:28, Norman Dunbar wrote:
>
> > Wolfgang,
> >
> > it's not 'stupid' it's Intel 'little Endian' format.
>
> I know, I know, it's still stupid.
>
> > OK, it *is* stupid :o)
>
> Yeah right. Why doesn't the same thing happen in a QXL.WIN file
> under QPC on a hard disk (answer: Marcel isn't stupid).

nope, the problem is more complicated, I guess you have formatted
that QXL.WIN file on a QPC drive.

On Q40/Q60 and Atari the IDE bus is connected to the CPU bus
in such a way that data comming from the HD appears 16-bit
byte reversed as compared when you attach the same drive
to PC-ish hardware. Traditionally swapping hard disks was
not seen as useful or common enough to compensate this in
software, afaics only Linux has an option for it.

To make matters more interesting, the bus-order and cpu-order
accidentally eliminate each other's effect when 16 bit data
is accessed and the drive contains little endian data.

To summarise: there is a bus-endian and a cpu-endianness
issue. CPU is the same for QPC and Q40/Q60 so you only see
the bus-endian issue. If you want to use Q40 hard disks on
PC hardware you need to use the 'hdX=swapdata' option (linux)
for this drive.. anyone knows equivalent option for WinXX?

Richard