Hi all,
Just a quick tip for Europeans traveling to the US show in June...

If you want to bring your mobile phone with you, I would like to remind you
that only Tri-band or 1,9 GHz enabled dual band phones can work in the US.
These include the Motorola P7xxx series and the T250, Siemens S20 and the
older Bosch World 719i among others. The show area is serviced by
Voicestream Wireless (A T-Mobile/Deutsche Telecom AG company) and Cingular
Wireless. Check your local providers to see if they have roaming agreements
with the US.

If you do not have a 1.9 GHz GSM (It's called PCS here - beats me why)
phone you can rent one in advance from the Airport usually.

Now to the tips:

1. Make sure your phones are charged. You will be asked to turn your phones
on/off at security points both at exit and entry to the airport (The exit
doesn't make too much sense but has happened to me). Avoid
misunderstandings (and a lot of trouble) by having your batteries charged
if you carry your phones on you.
2. If you are using a GRPS or WAP phone be almost certain that these
features will NOT work in the US.
3. If you have features like Call barring and diverting, it's best you shut
it off BEFORE you leave your countries. Advanced GSM features are not
usually implemented in the US and if they are they cost money to turn on or
off. (Not to mention the roaming charges)
4. If you plan on using SMS messages, its best that you use Cingular's
network (Your phone will find both) as the Voicestream one plainly said
SUCKS! Half the time international messages get lost or bounced.
5. If you want to call Customer Service of the network that you will be
logged on, (By calling your standard customer service no that is diverted
to the local 611 here) just forget it. You will spend hours trying to
figure out what's wrong (and it's usually their fault) and customer service
for both GSM providers is below sub-standard. You will only get frustrated
and will end up paying extreme fees.. (A whole different story best left
unsaid)
6. If you are in need of assistance of the Police, Fire Dept. or anything
else DO NOT call 911 from your mobile phone. Instead use 112 which is free
:-) (Hey why pay?)

Finally for ONE "lucky" person that's interested I have an extra Bosch 718i
which I can lend to anyone that wants to use his SIM card here. It's not
much and in semi-shaky state (Battery is not exactly hanging on the phone
right) but otherwise works fine and has served me in addition to my
Timeports fine since 1999 :-) (it will be totally unlocked too and already
preprogrammed with OmniPoint's SMS gateway in it as well :-) Send me an
email. First come first serve basis of course but do it quickly because I
am leaving for Greece in two weeks...

That is all,

PhOEbus R. (and Not L. as Roy wants me ;-) Just saw that one!) DokOs