----- Original Message -----
From: Dilwyn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [ql-users] qtyp dictionary

> On a disk I have here, I've found a file called
> QTYP_DICTIONARY_VLAAMS - does anyone have any idea (a) what language
> is it (Dutch?) and (b) what it might be (i.e. content)?

"Vlaams" is indeed Dutch, or more accurately Flemish.

I think I know the dictionary. About 10 years ago the only available Dutch
QTYP dictionary was obviously written by a Belgian, and I think this will be
the one you have.

Unfortunately it did have numerous mistakes, which was a pity as the author
had tried to be very thorough. In 1995 I merged it with my Spellchecker
dictionary word list, which was also full of mistakes, and corrected it to
conform with a major spelling revision. In practice there is little
difference between Flemish and Dutch and the spelling is determined by a
committee of Belgians and Dutch so there is no need for separate QTYP
dictionaries.

If you like I can take a look at it, but will promise no quick answer. I
have almost forgotten what a QL looks like, as I have been working on a
project that means I have had to get up at 5.00 a.m. for the last couple of
months. It is one of the worst projects I have ever worked on, but the
client keeps asking for more and is willing to pay, we are all happy as the
money keeps coming in. There is a delightful typing error in one of the
Dutch documents, so that instead of asking if a firm has a "Unified
Messaging Service" we ask if they have a "Unified Massaging Service".

Geoff Wicks