>For the Q40, low RAM is either read only or write only and it is normally
read
>only. To write to low RAM you must poke a byte address (I think any value
will
>do, but I use $FF). Interrupts must be disabled while doing this. Why?
There's
>a prize for the first person who posts the correct answer to the list.

If interrupts are not disabled the interrupt handler will be called while
the low memory is write only, and as the interrupt handler code is probably
in the low memory zone, the code to be executed cannot be read. This would
result in a complete crash of the system (either immeditely or because the
exception handling routine is also in low read only memory).

Just my guess.

Joachim