In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dilwyn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

I have been asked to set up a computer for someone for Christmas. They gave me a Readers Digest ISP installation CD (rdplus.net) but can't be used because (a) it's out of date, with old numbers etc and (b) it's only for members.

I could go into the website and set it all up from there but it says
it'll alter the settings on my computer automatically, so no go.

Anyone know of a subscription-free ISP using a local rate UK dialup I
can just sign up to from my computer then just simply set up the other
PC to connect to. Someone (Tarquin?) did offer me such details some
time ago but I seem to have lost them.
It is fairly easy to set up an account using your own PC but not installing the account on your own machine. Many ISPs have the facility for downloading an .inf file which will sent the other machine up when exec'd. Try uku or Totalise for this. Totalise are free if you use their dial up and uku are just free. It is not really hard to hand set up a machine and I would never use an installation CD - you don't know what else it installs.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.