In a message dated 04/02/2004 20:45:13 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
But would this be the case if Quanta submitted a few pages to QL Today
and paid money to it in return for issuing 'money off' vouchers that its
members could use to offset against the cost of subscribing. The Diving
Club I belong to provides us all with a free copy of Dive magazine which
is a commercial venture. The Club is, as far as I can tell,  a non
profit organisation similar to Quanta although a lot bigger.

I have not contributed much to this list of late, I admit.  Those who know me will know that I try my best to do things behind the scenes and keep the QL community ticking over, so I thought that maybe a few thoughts from me on Quanta may be of assistance.

I am glad to hear that the Quanta committee have taken steps towards a stronger committee and a better editor - however, without more material, whoever is appointed editor of the magazine faces an extremely hard task.

It seems to me, that despite Quanta's financial strength, they really need to look at what the QL community needs out of them.  This list is not ideal, but maybe people should come forward to say what Quanta should provide and then explain why they are or are not a member.

For me, Quanta should:
a) Provide financial assistance for regular QL shows throughout the UK and the rest of the world, even if some shows are mainly for the traders.  They need to investigate ways of widening the appeal of shows, such as linking with the ZX Spectrum or Z88 user groups.

The problem here is that they continue to benefit non-members just as well - therefore there is no incentive to join Quanta, unless you want to help finance the shows.

b) Provide financial support for future projects - hardware can be financed as interest free loans (as in the case of the Q60??)  Software is more difficult.  Although certain things could be made available to members only - there is nothing stopping a Quanta member getting the software and then ending their membership at next renewal.

However, either type of project would be a good reason to be a Quanta member - you help subsidise the future development of the QL and SMSQ/e etc and can then purchase the upgrades.  Why should non-members benefit as well ?? Simply charge non-members £17 extra for the hardware/software and this gives them 12 month membership of Quanta.

What projects would people want to see financed??
-- Replacement QuBIDE
-- Replacement for the Super Gold Card (I get asked by people lookng for these on a regular basis)
-- Printer Drivers: BTW are we not approaching the problem of modern printers in the wrong way??  Can anyone program a replacement for the PAR device which would accept standard EPSON printer codes (for example) and convert the information for printing by ProWeSs (ProForma) which should work with most modern printers as it only sends graphics codes, the same as Windows.

c) The magazine !! Well, the past few months issues have really not justified any type of membership of Quanta and it only repeats much of the information contained in QL Today (normally much later).  With the lack of material to appear in Quanta, I really think that the best way would be for Quanta to issue a 3/4 page update and provide cut-price subscriptions to QL Today to its members (say 1/2 price).  There would only then be one magazine which is looking for articles and members would see a real benefit in their membership.  There are plenty of members who cannot afford to pay £21pa for QL Today and £17pa for Quanta, especially when they do not get anything extra out of receiving the two magazines.

From an advertisers point of view, this would also assist us all to keep afloat, as advertising costs would be reduced plus we would have the potential of reaching all QL users.

Well those are my thoughts at the moment.... Feel free to comment.

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

Stuck with ordinary dial up internet connection ??
Read our review of internet accelerators and broadband at:
URL:http://members.aol.com/RWAPSoftware/reviews.html
              • ... Dave P
              • ... Bill Waugh
              • ... P Witte