Last EPSON laser-color 600dpi 4/16 pages/mn SER/USB only costs 500EUR (A4 only,
without Ethernet card) : the price for a 300dpi b&w in the recent past ! Don't know
cost for replacement toner :-((

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] la part de
Jérôme Grimbert
Envoyé : lundi 8 mars 2004 13:51
À : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Objet : Re: [ql-users] £ 1000 to spend!

Tarquin Mills wrote:
> Jerome Grimbert wrote:
>
>>Only option so far is to be picky when buying the printer, checking that
>>there is at least a parallel port (and one that does not need ECP/EPP,
>>but plain good old parallel port, mono-directional... and no fancy
>>mandatory cartridge management...)
>>I just like my LX-800 and BJC-600...
>
> It would be nice with the (Q40, Q60 and) Platinum Card coming out to have
> the par device changed so that it can used bi-directionally (ECP/EPP).

It would only provide the communication... but you would still miss the
heavy driver and print engine on the 3.4 GHz P4, and 256 MB of memory...
And most printers now have 'undocumented & classified' code. A nightmare
to make a driver when you're a third party.

> Postscript looks better and better as time goes on. Laser use par, have
> PCL or postscript and sometimes have Epson emulation.

Postscript, yes. But cheap laser do not have it.
My dream printer would be a Postscript-colour laser printer with
unexpensive refill, recto-verso and A3-able processing as well as heavy
paper capable (more than 250g/m²), with a minimal definition of 600 PPI,
lot of memory and silent. Printing on transparent-slide would be a plus...
Alas, I'm afraid I do not have the budget for that... nor the every-day
use of it either.