Thank you Wolfgang and Oliver for the replies.

My ignorance, I was setting up the Grid and not the Map View coordinates, so everything is now square.  I don't have trouble zooming QMS, however, when unzooming the the topo map disappears when the scale is 3.00km or more, which is a nuisance.

May I comment on QMS v QLGT

I have used QLGT for a very long time, and have monitored the development of QMS from the beginning.  I am not a coder, and appreciate the enormous amount of work that Oliver and others have devoted to QMS.  Virtually every demand has been catered for, and QMS has become the "Swiss Army Knife" of mapping.  On the other hand I feel QLGT also has a place for those who do not need the sofistication of QMS.  All some need is to do the things that QLGT does well, like simply look at a gpx file to see where they had been, or to plot a course using the Distance Polyline.  QLGT does this without multiple windows and options.  A QLGT feature I much prefer is the way QLGT draws a highlighted track, showing individual gps points which can be easily inspected or deleted to tidy up the track.  The QLGT gui is simple and user friendly, no need to open/close windows, no need for projects, etc.  For simple people like me, QLGT is more than adeqate.  If QLGT is allowed to die, may be the gui could live on as an option for QMS(?).

signature-mini

Cheers

*JohnG*