Hi,

First pardon me if my questions are wrong or stupid. We have been using
Qmail
for a few months now. Overall we are very happy with Qmail. Just
recently I installed
the qmailanalog to analyze qmail logs. Our average concurrency is around

10 from  zoverall and it has been in the range of (3, 18).  Right now
the total
number of deliveries is less than 100,000 and we expect it double or
triple in
the near future. Our system is running Solarise 2.6 and is 300 MHz Sparc

II
and has 768 MB memory. The qmail is located on a RAID system with
SCSI III.  I have included one copy of results from zoverall and zddist
with
this email. My questions are

1) From zddist it seems that Qmail took 8 hours to deliver 95 % mails
and almost
2 hours for the first 10%. Probablly I misinterpretted the meaning of
the zddist result.
Are they because that the number of failures and deferrals were high
(14% of all
deliveries)? Is it going to get worse when we double our email
deliveries?

2) The instruction on zoverall says that average concurrency  is "a good

measure
of how busy the mailer is", what is the acceptable average number? Say
less then 1?
Was our number of 17 too high? If it is, could someone tell us what we
should do
to improve our system performance?

3) The average message qtime is 20541 seconds (the lowerest at one day
was 30 seconds).
Is it because the failures of the deliveries?

Thanks for your time.

Scott Liu
Software Developer
831 460 4318

P.S.

1) zoverall result

Basic statistics

qtime is the time spent by a message in the queue.

ddelay is the latency for a successful delivery to one recipient---the
end of successful delivery, minus the time when the message was queued.

xdelay is the latency for a delivery attempt---the time when the attempt

finished, minus the time when it started. The average concurrency is the

total xdelay for all deliveries divided by the time span; this is a good

measure of how busy the mailer is.

Completed messages: 79915
Recipients for completed messages: 79912
Total delivery attempts for completed messages: 81574
Average delivery attempts per completed message: 1.02076
Bytes in completed messages: 308819271
Bytes weighted by success: 289642486
Average message qtime (s): 20541

Total delivery attempts: 87057
  success: 76036
  failure: 4076
  deferral: 6945
Total ddelay (s): 1629455636.245614
Average ddelay per success (s): 21430.054662
Total xdelay (s): 1062732.982771
Average xdelay per delivery attempt (s): 12.207324
Time span (days): 0.684
Average concurrency: 17.9827

2) zddist result

Distribution of ddelays for successful deliveries

Meaning of each line: The first pct% of successful deliveries
all happened within doneby seconds. The average ddelay was avg.

  doneby       avg  pct
 6276.99   2489.81  10
 7115.49   2940.18  11
 8421.76   3411.12  12
10015.50   3831.50  13
10215.10   4244.41  14
11112.50   4646.91  15
12013.90   5074.76  16
12861.80   5498.08  17
13786.00   5897.38  18
14324.20   6322.25  19
15093.00   6708.94  20
15721.00   7108.48  21
16807.00   7528.98  22
17821.60   7877.66  23
18305.20   8090.87  24
18387.60   8299.90  25
18442.30   8474.10  26
18511.40   8741.10  27
18654.30   8995.07  28
18876.30   9223.15  29
19171.20   9476.65  30
19420.50   9789.08  31
20682.90  10030.29  32
20859.10  10282.91  33
21195.10  10378.52  34
21216.50  10581.76  35
21310.20  10772.49  36
21371.20  11002.63  37
21509.30  11208.76  38
21690.10  11450.43  39
21908.80  11665.06  40
22076.70  11841.74  41
22217.50  11978.77  42
22314.70  12149.78  43
22432.10  12365.24  44
22792.90  12562.65  45
23036.50  12751.03  46
23212.90  12940.97  47
23429.30  13072.44  48
23525.90  13226.68  49
23670.40  13325.81  50
23716.90  13431.41  51
23769.10  13542.53  52
23825.70  13622.61  53
23851.60  13746.65  54
23988.60  13844.28  55
24041.90  13967.67  56
24129.50  14090.14  57
24203.60  14186.23  58
24246.80  14287.92  59
24302.00  14417.13  60
24550.10  14575.69  61
24918.60  14735.01  62
25142.00  14882.95  63
25349.00  15023.95  64
25504.40  15159.64  65
26261.50  15227.51  66
26286.00  15392.45  67
26571.10  15543.14  68
26823.60  15686.92  69
27023.50  15831.58  70
27207.50  16011.07  71
27667.80  16165.72  72
27874.10  16303.56  73
28145.10  16401.72  74
28235.50  16480.40  75
28308.50  16555.71  76
28371.30  16679.30  77
28472.50  16770.79  78
28542.80  16857.72  79
28579.70  16928.41  80
28606.50  16992.03  81
28631.40  17106.50  82
28808.60  17265.18  83
29111.50  17402.04  84
29365.90  17545.20  85
29593.80  17670.42  86
29732.10  17788.30  87
29871.00  17928.83  88
30015.00  17991.64  89
30047.90  18093.50  90
30128.00  18240.09  91
30408.80  18308.21  92
30436.80  18370.61  93
30462.60  18489.85  94
30555.20  18623.89  95
30763.00  18718.13  96
30824.60  18811.63  97
30920.10  19047.58  98
42927.80  19451.23  99
52067.70  19451.91  100

TAPESTRY.NET - On Target, Online Recruiting
111 Mission St. Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Visit our web sites at:
http://www.tapestry.net
http://www.asia-net.com      Bilingual Professionals