An interesting side-note I thought I'd add, qmail-inject from the command
line works perfectly.  Using qmail-inject the message goes to
~bob/Maildir/new the way it's suppose to.  So the question still stands, how
do I configure qmail-smtpd to place mail where it's supposed to?

The SMTP entry in my inetd.conf looks like this:
    smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  qmaild  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
qmail-smtpd