On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 10:20:58AM -0500, Wade wrote:
> Duh...  That's what I started out thinking, and I let someone convince me
> that 25 was bi-directional and handled both on a LAN.  Excuse me while I go
> Snipe hunting. :)

The dialup-server is just a dumb machine that looks at the destination IP
in the packets your SMTP connection is made of. It forwards these packets
to the correct IP. _that_ IP then starts looking at the port to see what to
do with it.

Ofcourse, if you configure your dial-up machine to allow people only access
to port 25 on the mailserver, the dial-up machine will _look_ at the port
[and throw the packet away if it's not 25 or 110], but it will not actually
_do_ anything with the port. That's still just passed on straight to the
mailserver.

Greetz, Peter
--
| 'He broke my heart,    |                              Peter van Dijk |
     I broke his neck'   |                     [EMAIL PROTECTED] |