qmail Digest 27 May 1999 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 653

Topics (messages 26024 through 26060):

compiling problems
        26024 by: Paul Bais <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Load simmulator for testing qmail
        26025 by: Amit Vadehra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26041 by: "Racer X" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26044 by: Stefan Paletta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26059 by: Amit Vadehra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26060 by: Stefan Paletta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Antw: Re: qmail and lotus notes
        26026 by: "Ralf Guenthner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmail/pop3 SQL patch
        26027 by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

mail relay for any IP,but only for valid logins - how??
        26028 by: olli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26029 by: Jason Brooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

dialup w/ qmail
        26030 by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26035 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        26036 by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26037 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

mail time ?
        26031 by: "Claudiu Balciza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26032 by: "Soffen, Matthew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26033 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26040 by: "Claudiu Balciza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Limit max msg size per virtual dom - SOLVED (i think)
        26034 by: Eric Dahnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

How to log supervised tcpserver?
        26038 by: "Petr Novotny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26056 by: Anand Buddhdev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

queued (delayed) mail
        26039 by: Markus Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail quotas with mailquotacheck.sh
        26042 by: Brad Shelton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26046 by: "Aaron L. Meehan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

.. a few hours with qmail-pop3d
        26043 by: Robbie Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

ezmlm doesn't start
        26045 by: Per Birkeby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

PLEASE HELP !! ...couldn't find host named
        26047 by: Wilson Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26049 by: Markus Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26050 by: Wilson Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26051 by: Markus Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you for Q-mail !
        26048 by: Per Birkeby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ah ha, thankyou Markus
        26052 by: Wilson Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail, IMAP, and the god-forsaken Outlook Express
        26053 by: "Jim Gilliver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Fatal Error ...?
        26054 by: "zulfahmi andri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

qmLogsort
        26055 by: "Monte Mitzelfelt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        26057 by: Mads E Eilertsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Partly solved: supervised tcpserver under supervise
        26058 by: "Petr Novotny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hi

I've tried to compile qmail 1.03 on an Indy running IRIX 6.5,.
I'm using egcs 1.1.2 and gnu make 3.76.

This is what i get when running make seup check:

./compile auto-str.c
auto-str.c: In function `main':
auto-str.c:15: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
./load auto-str substdio.a error.a str.a
ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "_exit" -- 1st referenced by
auto-str.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "errno" -- 1st referenced by
substdio.a(substdi.o).
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "read" -- 1st referenced by
substdio.a(subfdin.o).
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "write" -- 1st referenced by
auto-str.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: INFO 152: Output file removed because of error.
make: *** [auto-str] Error 2

Does anyone know a solution for this?
Or is a binary for the Indy available?

Greetz
Paul

HI,
    I need to find a load simmulator that will pump mails to a
particular id or a set of ids that to check the the  load generated by
pumping that many mails at one point of time and how qmail handles it.
We need something that will pump mails of different sizes and types so
that we can test the total email infrastructure.
Qmail is on Linux ( redhat 5.4) . Can one write some kind of a script
that you do the same.
Please let me know at the earliest.
Thanks
Amit Vadehra

Microsoft has a tool called InetLoad that does some basic load testing.
While it only runs on Windows NT, it is free and it's worked pretty well
for us.  It has the capability to test various services besides just SMTP,
and includes some basic scripting commands.  You can find it at:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/inetload/inetload.htm

shag

Amit Vadehra wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
> We need something that will pump mails of different sizes and types so
> that we can test the total email infrastructure.

Postfix includes such a thing, IIRC.

Stefan

Where do i get that , can i download it from a site...
Is it a a Lunix version so that i can test it on qmail over Linux.
Thanks
Amit

Stefan Paletta wrote:

> Amit Vadehra wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
> > We need something that will pump mails of different sizes and types so
> > that we can test the total email infrastructure.
>
> Postfix includes such a thing, IIRC.
>
> Stefan

http://www.postfix.org/

Stefan

Amit Vadehra wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
> Where do i get that , can i download it from a site...
> Is it a a Lunix version so that i can test it on qmail over Linux.
> Thanks
> Amit
>
> Stefan Paletta wrote:
>
> > Amit Vadehra wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
> > > We need something that will pump mails of different sizes and types so
> > > that we can test the total email infrastructure.
> >
> > Postfix includes such a thing, IIRC.

Hi

>Firewall (bound private and officall IP s) for security reasons and
>forwards all messages to our internal Notes-Server that only uses

Speaking of security: As a firewall admin I wanted to point out that it is always a
bad idea to have ANYTHING run on your firewall besides the firewalling software
itself. Reason: Additional applications could inhibit the work (ressources etc.) of
the firewall and open up potential security holes for which there's really no good
reason to exist on the firewall machine. You could put your mailserver in a DMZ for
example and have mails transferred from there to your internal systems. This way it
wouldn't be the firewall being open on port 25 to the whole world but a different
system!

 In your case it's not that bad though, since qmail is secure, as far as we know...
Just my 2 cents.

Best regards
Ralf

Is there any available patch for using qmail/checkpassword with SQL. I
did not find any valid response under archive.

Thank's

--
<dm>

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Per Birkeby wrote:

I'm sorry for noise, but I didn't find that in FAQ.. Well , I need to
allow mail relaying for anyone ( if it is easy to do this on a per user
basis  - very fine ) who have valid pop3/smtp account on my server. In
/etc/tcp.smtp I can allow IPs.. Is it possible to allow/deny users with
tcpserver? I'll be glad to see a name of the manual or url where I can
find detailed explanation of tcp.cmtp used with tcpserver. Sorry -
unfortunately I've got a lot of other work , so it's almost impossible
for me (at least in 2 nearest weeks) to search the web w/ this
question... Could anyone help,please? :)~

Bye.Olli.

olli wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 1999, Per Birkeby wrote:
> I'm sorry for noise, but I didn't find that in FAQ.. Well , I need to
> allow mail relaying for anyone ( if it is easy to do this on a per user
> basis  - very fine ) who have valid pop3/smtp account on my server. In
> /etc/tcp.smtp I can allow IPs.. Is it possible to allow/deny users with
> tcpserver? I'll be glad to see a name of the manual or url where I can
> find detailed explanation of tcp.cmtp used with tcpserver. Sorry -
> unfortunately I've got a lot of other work , so it's almost impossible
> for me (at least in 2 nearest weeks) to search the web w/ this
> question... Could anyone help,please? :)~
>
> Bye.Olli.

Generally, users don't login with an smtp password (although it is
possible with some smtp servers, and some mail clients have the facility
for it)

I'm sure I saw an smtp login addon for qmail on the qmail homepage -
whether or not it can be used for what you want I'm unsure.

jason

Greetings all,

I just got finished (mostly) setting up qmail on a server I'm preparing to
put on the net. Until I get my FQDN I'm using a standard ppp connection
and just have localhost.localdomain in all my control files. This allows
me to send mail to others on the server, as well as send mail to other
hosts when I connect it w/ ppp. However, since I don't have a real domain,
I can't seem to receive anything. I try to send mail to the server from a
remote host, and it gripes that the address (whataver.ppp-mfc.etc..) isn't
in the rcpthosts file. I also can't seem to receive pop mail (via
fetchmail) due to the same problem.

Once I get the domain set up, the first problem should go away. However,
I'm not too sure about the second.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> However, since I don't have a real domain, I can't seem to receive
> anything.

People should not be addressing mail directly to your server, unless
it has a sufficiently stable presence on the Internet (static IP,
DDNS, etc.). They should be sending mail to you c/o your ISP.

> I try to send mail to the server from a remote host, and it gripes
> that the address (whataver.ppp-mfc.etc..) isn't in the rcpthosts
> file.

Right, because you're addressing the mail to the dialup on which
you're connected. Qmail only accepts mail for hosts listed in
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts. There are two solutions:

  1. Add all of your ISP's dialups to rcpthosts (yuck!).

  2. Get the mail-delivery-agent to connect to your machine, but
     address the mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] You'll find
     that quite tricky; indeed impossible in general.

> I also can't seem to receive pop mail (via fetchmail) due to the
> same problem.

Fetchmail can do the job; you should scan your mail log and see, when
running fetchmail, _exactly_ what the error message is. Paste them
into your email's to this list.

I'll guess that they say, "localhost" is not in rcpthosts. You could
just add it; alternately run fetchmail with "-S
localhost.localdomain", or add "smtphost localhost.localdomain" to
your .fetchmailrc file. Presumably, "localhost.localdomain" IS in your
rcpthosts.

Good luck,
-Len.

--
Corrupt: In politics, holding an office of trust or profit.
    -- Ambrose Bierce

> People should not be addressing mail directly to your server, unless
> it has a sufficiently stable presence on the Internet (static IP,
> DDNS, etc.). They should be sending mail to you c/o your ISP.

Well that's fine. Once I get the static IP/domain I'll add that to the
rcpthosts and all will be well. I was just checking to see if I could send
to it from a remote host while online. Sendmail used to let me do it, but
then again it'd let a person get away with murder if they wished :)

> I'll guess that they say, "localhost" is not in rcpthosts. You could
> just add it; alternately run fetchmail with "-S
> localhost.localdomain", or add "smtphost localhost.localdomain" to
> your .fetchmailrc file. Presumably, "localhost.localdomain" IS in your
> rcpthosts.

That's the basic idea of it. I added the -S option and it worked great.
Hey it wasn't until just recently I realized that fetchmail runs through
the local mail server (duh@me).

BTW, I notice (as I download 1718 messages from my remote server) that the
hard drive seems to run awfully hard during qmail operations. It's only for
a split second (after flushing each message) but it's somewhat loud. Is
that possibly because qmail writes to the drive asap instead of caching it
in memory or something? I've got Maildir access currently set up, so I
thought maybe the more frequent hd writes had to do with being in my
/home/ directory.

You mentioned setting up a .fetchmailrc. I've never managed to figure out
the syntax. What does a basic .fetchmailrc look like? I'd like to set up a
little cron script to dial up my ISP, make sure it connects, download all
my POP mail and then hangup afterwards. Unfortunately, that'd require me
learning how to write cron scripts as well.

I apologize for all the lame newbie questions. Mailer daemons are not
something I've dabbled with before. I've always just left my system with
whatever defaults it came with and never gave it a second thought.
Switching over to qmail has been a learning experience for me...one that
I'm not regretting.

Jason

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You mentioned setting up a .fetchmailrc. I've never managed to figure out
>the syntax. What does a basic .fetchmailrc look like?

See:

    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#fetchmail

-Dave

qmail 1.03 on redhat 5.2

I sent myself an e-mail at 17:01
I got it back instantly marked  as received at 20.01
The server time was 17:01

why is that ?

Claudiu

qmail works in UTC time.

I am assuming you are -3.00 GMT ?

Well, the mail is marked as +0300, which is consistent with the .ro
sender domain.  So it really *should* be coming back marked received
at 14:01.  But let's look at some headers:

| Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:05:55 +0300

These headers show that mail.altex.ro's clock is running local
time, rather than UTC as is common on unix systems.  The message
originated at a Windows machine.  I believe their clocks always run
local time?  In any case, the explanation for the 3 hour warp in the
wrong direction is probably in there somewhere.  In any case, I would
strongly recommend always running unix clocks at UTC.

- Harald

qmail 1.03 on redhat 5.2

I sent myself an e-mail at 17:01
I got it back instantly marked  as received at 20.01
Server time was 17:01

why is that ?

Claudiu

Halo halo,

To create different max message size limits per virtual domain, would
the following work?

in virtualdomains

  domain.com.ar:admin-domain-databytes

in ~admin-domain-databytes/.qmail-default

  | bouncesaying "message too big" [wc -c -gt 100000]
  &admin-domain

in ~admin-domain
  all the .qmail-info
          .qmail-fred
          .qmail-frank etc...

WILL IT WORK?

cheers - eric

--
Petr Novotny, ANTEK CS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 07:37:29PM +0100, Petr Novotny wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently running my listener like
> supervise dir tcpserver ... 25 rblsmtpd qmail-smtpd &
>
> I would like to log failed RBL tests; I though I would just add
> 2&>1 | accustamp | setuser qmaill cyclog ...
> before the final '&' but it seemed to log nothing.

If it's not a typo, the above has a mistake. The shell redirection for
stderr should be tcpserver .... qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | accustamp | setuser
qmaill cyclog .....

You have instead 2&>1, which is wrong.

--
System Administrator
See complete headers for address, homepage and phone numbers

On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 01:59:32PM +1000, Andrew Gray wrote:
> My question is, how long do they need to stay connected to be sure they have
> collected any mail queued on oure system running which is running qmail

This depends on how long the mail is already in the queue.
qmail uses an quadratic backoff algorithm. The timings are available
at (the URLs are from this list as of yesterday):

    http://www.lamer.de/maex/creative/software/qmail/times.html
    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#retry-schedule

We do deliver emails for this kind of domains to a "serialmail channel"
via virtualdomains and qmail/users mechanism and then a script is run
every n minutes and tries to deliver this emails via maildirserial.
Thus the customers have to stay online for at least n minutes till
the transfer is initiated + the time it takes to deliver the emails.

Someone posted on this list some time ago they are working on a solution
that will trigger maildirserial via the radius server, however they were
not finished the last time I asked. You should be able to locate the
message in the archives.

Another approach which should be rather easy to implement as you are using
static IP adresses is to have a script (e.g. cgi-bin) that the customer
calls and that triggers the delivery.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | you funny and you need

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 02:15:26PM -0600, Peter Janett wrote:
> I'm using Paul Gregg's checkpasswd setup to create pop users that are not system
>users.  It's working great, but now I need to add
> mail quotas.  So, I'm attempting to use his mailquotacheck.sh, from
> http://www.tibus.net/pgregg/projects/qmail/mailquotacheck/mailquotacheck.sh

It needs to be in system path, or specified with full path/filename, but I
had to quit using it when I upgraded to qmail 1.03 (unfortutnate. Worked
great).

I have no real idea why. It just wouldn't work anymore after installing
1.03.

--
Brad Shelton  On Line Exchange  http://ole.net
-                                       -

Hmm, yes that is strange, since we're using it here with 1.03.

Aaron

Quoting Brad Shelton ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> It needs to be in system path, or specified with full path/filename, but I
> had to quit using it when I upgraded to qmail 1.03 (unfortutnate. Worked
> great).
>
> I have no real idea why. It just wouldn't work anymore after installing
> 1.03.

You had problems in each of the lines except the last ones. The Dave's
wonderful life version was closest, but you needed /bin/checkpasswd instead
of just passwd.

The FAQ instructions did not include the inetd.conf lines you showed. The
instructions explicitly said that qmail-popup was in there twice.

>From the qmail FAQ section 5.3:
5.3. How do I set up qmail-pop3d? My old POP server works with mbox
delivery; I'd like to switch to maildir delivery.

Answer: Four steps. First, install the checkpassword program
(http://pobox.com/~djb/checkpwd.html). Second, make sure you have a

   pop3 110/tcp

line in /etc/services. Third, put (all on one line, including
qmail-popup twice)

   pop3 stream tcp nowait root
   /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup qmail-popup
   YOURHOST /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

into /etc/inetd.conf, and give inetd a HUP; replace YOURHOST with your
host's fully qualified domain name. Fourth, set up Maildir delivery for
any user who wants to read mail via POP.

If you have tcpserver installed, skip the inetd step, and set up (on two
lines)

   tcpserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup YOURHOST \
   /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

replacing YOURHOST with your host's fully qualified domain name. See
question 5.1 for more details on tcpserver.

Security note: pop3d should be used only within a secure network;
otherwise an eavesdropper can steal passwords.

At 07:12 PM 5/25/99 , you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've just had a few hours with qmail-pop3d and I'd like to highlight a few
>things i've learn't...
>
>I started out with this in inetd.conf and a broken Maildir permissions.
>
>Fixing the permissions was easy, but this still was reporting a 'no
>home/maildir found'
>> pop3 stream tcp nowait root /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup ice.gradwell.com
>/bin/checkpassword
>> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir
>
>so, I wen't to the djb faq and looked at this:
>
>pop3 stream tcp nowait root /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup ice.gradwell.com
>/bin/checkpassword
>/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir
>
>and also to Dave's wonderful life with qmail...
>
>pop3 stream tcp nowait root /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup qmail-popup
>ice.gradwell.com checkpassword
>/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir
>
>but non of these worked.
>
>So I went back to checkpassword, recompiled, ran the tests, and it worked :-(
>
>so I gave up on inetd, and went to tcpserver...
>
>I tried this:
>
>tcpserver 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup ice.gradwell.com \
>/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &
>
>but this didn't work either... so I went back to the checkpassword tests,
>and found I was using
>'ice' as my hostname. This finally works:
>
>tcpserver 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup ice \
>/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &
>
>Now, I'm not sure, why, how or where the difference is, but I though't I'd
>record this for archive
>prosperity, and I'd like to urge all you knowledgeable documentation writers
>to mention it! 'cause
>it's just cost me several hours of sleep :-)
>
>thanks to Manohar Pradhan for his help.
>
>peter.
>
>--
>peter at gradwell dot com; http://www.gradwell.com/
>gradwell dot com Ltd. Enabling the internet you don't see.
>
>         ... just another (profitable) student ...

NovaMetrix Development
Robbie Walker, head muckety-muck

P.O. Box 635 or 910-653-4006
106-B S. Main St        800-773-5647
Tabor City, NC 28463    910-653-2052 FAX

Hello,

I read it all...and did a setup exactly as specified at:
http://www.ezmlm.org/faq-0.32/FAQ2.html
I use the ezmlm-idx patch. Compiled without any problems.

I cant get pass this error:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I used these commands to create the list:
% ezmlm-make -rdugm -5 [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/list ~/.qmail-list
whizzo-junklist ramlosa.net
% ezmlm-sub ~/list [EMAIL PROTECTED]
% ezmlm-sub ~/list/digest [EMAIL PROTECTED]
% ezmlm-sub ~/list/mod [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All the files are where they are supposed to be in user whizzo's
homedir.

User whizzo exists and is able to use SMTP/POP3 remotely, and it works
perfect !

Excuse me for mailing to both lists but the ezmlm list seems not to be
that active :)

Thank you for your help in advance !

Regards/Per

Greetings,

I've searched the http://www.ornl.gov/ site for this but couldn't find
anything that seemed to relate specifically.
Yes there are messages that relate to this error but they don't seem to
relate to my particular case ie. I have set up dns and added the MX entries
(hmmm, maybe my dns is broken ????? - I can post the config files if
someone thinks this might be the case and can help).

We have two domains, mclachlan.com.au and mclachlanlister.com.au and I've
set up dns MX entries in the files /var/named/mclachlan.com.au and
/var/named/mclachlanlister on the primary DNS (checkov.mclachlan.com.au).
I've set sulu.mclachlanlister.com.au (which is in another subnet) to be
secondary for both domains and I've set picard.mclachlan.com.au to be a
secondary also (I've removed the caching entry on picard).

The MX entries are as follows:

mclachlan.com.au IN MX 10 checkov.mclachlan.com.au.  ; Primary Mail
Exchanger
mclachlanlister.com.au IN MX 10 checkov.mclachlan.com.au.  ; Primary Mail

Essentially checkov will sit in the DMZ and picard and sulu will be behind
the firewall in their respective buildings. checkov, picard and the
firewall are actually in the same domain though. (There could be more
domains later)

            picard.mclachlan.com.au
                      /|\

                      \|/
ie. big-cloud<=====>firewall<====>checkov (DMZ) (dns & email)
                      /|\

                      \|/
           sulu.mclachlanlister.com.au

I want checkov to send mail for mclachlan.... to picard and mail for
mclachlanlister... to sulu, however I do want checkov to be the smtp host
for both domains. To facilitate this I have set up virtualdomains for
mclachlan... and mclachlanlister.... on checkov as per the FAQ.

I want client's in mclachlanlister.com.au to connect to their local server
(sulu) and clients in mclachlan.com.au to connect to their designated
server (picard). It seems to work OK except that on picard or sulu if I try
and send to myself (say) by typing:

        echo To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

then the message get's bounced because picard can't find the host name.
This happens for both domains. What I would like to happen is for the mail
to be delivered locally if either mclachlan or mclachlanlister or sent to
checkov if for the sister domain (or some external domain). At present the
local servers are connecting directly rather than sending external mail to
checkov first (ie. I am using picard for outgoing which connects directly
to the smtp host).

The bounced message shows:
        Hi. This is the qmail-send program at picard.mclachlan.com.au.
        I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
        Sorry, I couldn't find any host named mclachlan.com.au. (#5.1.2)

The log shows:

        May 27 11:31:01 picard qmail: 927768661.439909 status: local 0/10 remote
1/20
        May 27 11:31:01 picard qmail: 927768661.450163 delivery 16: failure:
Sorry,_I_co
        uldn't_find_any_host_named_mclachlan.com.au._(#5.1.2)/

I would prefer all mail to be routed through checkov whether internal or
external to make it easy to filter etc. In the worst case I can get picard
and sulu to handle their own domain's mail but at present they are still
not finding their sister domain ie. picard can't see mclachlanlister.com.au
and vice-versa.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Wilson Fletcher

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 11:05:20AM -0000, Wilson Fletcher wrote:
>       May 27 11:31:01 picard qmail: 927768661.450163 delivery 16: failure:
> Sorry,_I_co
>       uldn't_find_any_host_named_mclachlan.com.au._(#5.1.2)/

This smells like a DNS problem to me.
What does a nslookup for an A or MX record for mclachlan.com.au on
picard say? Is it found?

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | you funny and you need
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 |  Tel: +49 (89) 32356-0    | a mouse to delete files
D-80807 Muenchen          |  Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299  |

Thanks for the reply,

On Thursday, May 27, 1999 1:30 AM, Markus Stumpf [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> This smells like a DNS problem to me.
> What does a nslookup for an A or MX record for mclachlan.com.au on
> picard say? Is it found?

I did the following with nslookup (is this what you meant ?)

picard# nslookup
Default Server:  checkov.mclachlan.com.au
Address:  192.168.1.248

> checkov
Server:  checkov.mclachlan.com.au
Address:  192.168.1.248

Name:    checkov.mclachlan.com.au
Address:  192.168.1.248

> mclachlan.com.au
Server:  checkov.mclachlan.com.au
Address:  192.168.1.248

Name:    mclachlan.com.au.mclachlan.com.au

> exit

Here is my zone file from /var/named/mclachlan.com.au
;
; Zone file for mclachlan.com.au
;
; The full zone file
;
@       IN      SOA     checkov.mclachlan.com.au. root.mclachlan.com.au. (
[snip]
;
                NS  checkov.mclachlan.com.au.      ; Primary name server
                NS  sulu.mclachlanlister.com.au.   ; Secondary
                NS  dns.zeta.org.au.               ; Zeta

mclachlan.com.au IN MX 10 checkov.mclachlan.com.au.  ; Primary Mail Exchanger
mclachlanlister.com.au IN MX 10 checkov.mclachlan.com.au.  ; Primary Mail
                    MX 20 mail.zeta.org.au.    ; Secondary Mail Exchanger
;
localhost        IN A       127.0.0.1
picard       IN A       192.168.1.254
checkov      IN A       192.168.1.248

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 11:45:25AM -0000, Wilson Fletcher wrote:
> > mclachlan.com.au
> Server:  checkov.mclachlan.com.au
> Address:  192.168.1.248
>
> Name:    mclachlan.com.au.mclachlan.com.au

This should be the error.

> Here is my zone file from /var/named/mclachlan.com.au

> mclachlan.com.au IN MX 10 checkov.mclachlan.com.au.  ; Primary Mail Exchanger
> mclachlanlister.com.au IN MX 10 checkov.mclachlan.com.au.  ; Primary Mail

You're missing trailing dots after the .au on the left side
(i.e. after mclachlan.com.au and mclachlanlister.com.au).

Fix this and see what happens.

        \Maex

P.S. going to bed now (5 am over here ;-)
--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | you funny and you need
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 |  Tel: +49 (89) 32356-0    | a mouse to delete files
D-80807 Muenchen          |  Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299  |

I have never seen such a great piece of software. Me beeing a total
newbie was able to set Qmail and ezmlm up within 4 hour's total work,
reading and two questions to this list.

Thank you for this software and the help I've been given :)

Best regards/Per

On Thursday, May 27, 1999 1:30 AM, Markus Stumpf [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> This smells like a DNS problem to me.
> What does a nslookup for an A or MX record for mclachlan.com.au on
> picard say? Is it found?

Yes well this pormpted me to look in comp.protocols.dns.bind at which point I realised
I had left the mighty "." off my mail domains.

Shame, shame, shame.

Anyway initial investigation seems to indicate that it is working now.

Thanks again

Wilson Fletcher

Hi there,

We're running qmail on linux with Outlook Express clients on Win95/8
(shudder).  The server works perfectly running POP3 and SMTP, and it now
does user-controlled auto-forwarding (via an email-parsing .qmail generator
=) ).

Unfortunately, now we need a small group of computers to access the same
mailbox, and POP3 is no use to us, as we need to keep all the mail in one
place for this particular account.  I thought that IMAP would be the way to
go on this one (despite not knowing a tremendous amount about mail
protocols) and have been trying to set this up.  I've installed qmail-imap
4.5 beta 2, and this seems to work as I'd like as far as authentication
goes, but it seems to only allow one user at a time.  If one user is
connected, and a second connects, the first user is logged out with an error
message (lost file lock or something similar).

The other solution I tried was the Cyrus IMAP server, but I don't seem to be
able to set this up so that it will return the folder list in outlook.  I
suspect this is mostly due to my lack of experience with IMAP, but I am
unable to find any information on this.

Anyway, if someone has some suggestions or documents to point me to, it
would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Hi Everybody,
I installed qmail --> running well
I tried .qmail-test for user-test@host  ---> Success.
I installed ezmlm ---> ezmlm-manage seem running, but when I sent
user-list-subscribe@host (from another computer running win 95) I got this
line of returned message :

ezmlm-manage: fatal: I do not accept messages at this address (#5.1.1)

Somebody know how to solve this?

zulfahmi andri

I think this one is ready for primetime.  It groups mail log records by
message and delivery.  It eliminates all of that scrolling up and down in
the log file looking for outcomes.  Features include a grep option, a
"nogrep"  like grep -v, a follow mode and transparent decompression for
.gz, .Z and .bz2 compressed logs.

Thanks,
Monte Mitzelfelt
Systems Design and Admininstration
New Mexico Technet, Inc.

On 27 May 1999, Monte Mitzelfelt wrote:

> I think this one is ready for primetime.  It groups mail log records by
> message and delivery.  It eliminates all of that scrolling up and down in
> the log file looking for outcomes.

Hmm, doesn't qmailanalog do the same thing for you?

Mads