qmail Digest 24 Aug 1999 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 738

Topics (messages 29328 through 29358):

maildir2smtp
        29328 by: Dimitri SZAJMAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29329 by: Dimitri SZAJMAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29330 by: "Olivier M." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29334 by: Dimitri SZAJMAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29338 by: Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Case Sensitive
        29331 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29332 by: Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29336 by: "David Dyer-Bennet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

URGENT: QMAIL problems!!! :(((
        29333 by: "><T1NCT10N" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

maildir + quota
        29335 by: Murat Arslan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29341 by: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Open-SMTP
        29337 by: Mirko Zeibig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

tcpserver and rate/time limit
        29339 by: Van Liedekerke Franky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29344 by: Pedro Melo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

daemontools binaries (was Re: binaries)
        29340 by: Mate Wierdl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wildmat patch
        29342 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

qmqpc and queue
        29343 by: Ben Heilman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29346 by: "Fred Lindberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29350 by: Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

fetchmail/qmail not talking
        29345 by: Sim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

pinq
        29347 by: Josh Pennell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29348 by: "James J. Lippard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29349 by: James Smallacombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

maildir patches to IMAP are wonky
        29351 by: Brian Reichert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Load balancing / qmqp / transferring messages
        29352 by: Matthew Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29354 by: "Peter McLarty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

SQWebMail or IMP?
        29353 by: "Martin Paulucci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Newbies to qmail
        29355 by: Emmanuel Nee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Squashing 20,000 rumors...
        29356 by: Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        29357 by: Daemeon Reiydelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Stop bouncing messages
        29358 by: Chris McCarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi, please where can I get "maildir2smtp" ?
I already have qmail 1.03.

thank you.

Oups... I just downloaded serialmail and I saw it -- sorry :)
But i have a problem now with it :)

look :
/home/etrntest/.qmail contains :

|/home/ds/serialmail-0.75/maildirsmtp /home/toto toto- 212.208.85.12 helo

and /home/toto/.qmail contains "toto" because I would like mail delivered
to toto kept in toto's mailbox.

But the problem is :

When I sh /home/ds/serialmail-0.75/maildirsmtp \
/home/toto toto- 212.208.85.12 helo (what is in /home/etrntest/.qmail) I
get :

[root@mumbly etrntest]# sh .qmail
maildirserial: fatal: unable to scan $MAILDIR/new: file does not exist

I tryied a man maildirserial and a man maildirsmtp but they don't talk
about that.. Any idea ?

(Later I will try this with a dynamic IP, I downloaded a perl script for
that, but so far I would like that (with a static IP) works already :-))

_______________
Dimitri SZAJMAN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.xon-xoff.fr

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Dimitri SZAJMAN wrote:

> Hi, please where can I get "maildir2smtp" ?
> I already have qmail 1.03.
>
> thank you.

Hello Dimitri, nice to see you again :)

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 12:29:20PM +0200, Dimitri SZAJMAN wrote:
> /home/etrntest/.qmail contains :
> |/home/ds/serialmail-0.75/maildirsmtp /home/toto toto- 212.208.85.12 helo
Me semble bizarre ton utilisation. Maildirsmpt est une commande qui
agit sur un Maildir, pas (a ma connaissance) sur un message passe
en pipe (|). En tout cas je n'ai jamais fais ca comme ca :)

> and /home/toto/.qmail contains "toto" because I would like mail delivered
> to toto kept in toto's mailbox.
> But the problem is :
> When I sh /home/ds/serialmail-0.75/maildirsmtp \
> /home/toto toto- 212.208.85.12 helo (what is in /home/etrntest/.qmail) I
> [root@mumbly etrntest]# sh .qmail
   ^^^^
try : su -l -c '/home/ds/serialmail-0.75/maildirsmtp /home/toto toto- 212.208.85.12
ds.xon-xoff.com' toto
(helo = le host qui est donne en argument aux host mail destinataire)

> maildirserial: fatal: unable to scan $MAILDIR/new: file does not exist
> I tryied a man maildirserial and a man maildirsmtp but they don't talk
> about that.. Any idea ?
essaie les exemples donnes dans la doc de serialmail (FROMISP, TOISP),
ensuite je peux te montrer quelques scripts que j'ai chez moi pour
des clients avec ip dynamque qui cherchent leur mails 1x par heure.

Good luck,
Olivier

Please can you tell me what exactly is needed in the user's dir ?
Now I use :
~/Mailbox
This file contains evry mails. There are no dirs. It works perfectly with
POP, etc... I did that for thousand of accounts.
What is needed for maildirsmtp ? I have tryied a lot of thing but no
success :-/

I tryied :
[root@mumbly etrntest]# cat .qmail
|/bin/maildirsmtp /home/toto toto- 212.208.85.2 helo

and also I tried :
maildirsmtp ~toto/Maildir toto- 127.0.0.1 212.208.85.2

Any idea ? "etrntest" is not a mail account, it will just run what is in
.qmail so qmail will (i would like!) launch a smtp connexion to the
remote 212.208.85.2 mailserver.
The real email is "toto".

in /var/qmail/control/virtualhost I have :
toto.fr:toto (toto is a test zone).
In ~toto/.qmail I have user1toto so all mail is in /home/user1toto/Mailbox

I hope I was clear.

_______________

Dimitri SZAJMAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Please can you tell me what exactly is needed in the user's dir ?
>Now I use :
>~/Mailbox
>This file contains evry mails. There are no dirs. It works perfectly with
>POP, etc... I did that for thousand of accounts.
>What is needed for maildirsmtp ? I have tryied a lot of thing but no
>success :-/

You need a maildir. See "man maildir". It's a completely different
mailbox format than mbox (all messages in one file).

-Dave

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
 > I have qmail working quite satisfactory
 > with help from lwq and all of you.
 >
 > I have now made 2 accounts
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Don't.  It confuses people, and qmail gives you no mechanism for
distinguishing between them.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Russell Nelson wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>  > I have qmail working quite satisfactory
>  > with help from lwq and all of you.
>  >
>  > I have now made 2 accounts
>  > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Don't.  It confuses people, and qmail gives you no mechanism for
> distinguishing between them.

Not just qmail. The very SMTP protocol that every MTA should conform
to is IN-casesensitive.

/magnus

--
"MOST USELESS site of the year 1998"
    --> http://x42.com/urlcalc/

Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 23 August 1999 at 14:50:07 +0200
 > On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Russell Nelson wrote:
 >
 > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
 > >  > I have qmail working quite satisfactory
 > >  > with help from lwq and all of you.
 > >  >
 > >  > I have now made 2 accounts
 > >  > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > >  > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > >
 > > Don't.  It confuses people, and qmail gives you no mechanism for
 > > distinguishing between them.
 >
 > Not just qmail. The very SMTP protocol that every MTA should conform
 > to is IN-casesensitive.

Not true; the case of the user part is to be preserved by smtp, and
interpreted by the local delivery agent in whatever way is appropriate
locally.

However, so few systems actually used case-sensitive user names that
most users of email think the case doesn't matter.  So if you try to
use the capability to have case-sensitive user names, you're going to
find that people have a very high error rate sending to them.
--
David Dyer-Bennet         ***NOTE ADDRESS CHANGES***          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ (photos) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon

> Hello!
>
>   Yesterday I moved from sendmail to qmail and now I got a problem.
> The problem is it doesn't recognizes usernames with dots in it. For
> example, there is a user "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", and qmail can not
> deliver a message to him: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: Sorry, no mailbox
> here by that name. (#5.1.1).
>
>   Is there a way to force qmail to process messages for such users
> correctly?

    Your problem is that you are not using PAM authentification scheme on
your system. I had the same problem while running Slackware 3.4.0. I
switched to RedHat (which has PAM support) and turned out to work fine :)
PAM accepts logins with dots in it and logins longer than 8 characters (way
longer :)).

Hi all,

I use vchkpw-3.4.5 and imap-4.5.vchkpw, with maildir. I added
3000000 (3mb) into the control/databytes file. But I want more.

How can I put quota on the system that calculates the sizes of the
folders of the user, and if quota exceeded how can I force
qmail to reject the incoming mail ?

Any help will be appreciated,
--
Regards,
Murat Arslan

Murat Arslan writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I use vchkpw-3.4.5 and imap-4.5.vchkpw, with maildir. I added
> 3000000 (3mb) into the control/databytes file. But I want more.
>
> How can I put quota on the system that calculates the sizes of the
> folders of the user, and if quota exceeded how can I force
> qmail to reject the incoming mail ?

Use filesystem-based quotas.  That's the best solution. Failing that, as
long as your lusers don't have shell access, maildrop version 0.70 can do
that.

--
Sam

Hello everybody,
I modified Russel's package a bit, my version of pop3-record:
---- snip /usr/local/bin/pop3-record ----
#!/bin/sh
TCPDIR=/etc/tcprules.d
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin/
# First see if $TCPREMOTEIP is handled by existing rules
tcprulescheck $TCPDIR/qmail-smtpd.cdb "$TCPREMOTEIP" | grep RELAYCLIENT > /dev/null &&
exit 0
echo "$TCPREMOTEIP"':allow,RELAYCLIENT=""' >> $TCPDIR/smtp.filter.newer
cat $TCPDIR/smtp.filter.* > $TCPDIR/qmail-smtpd
tcprules $TCPDIR/qmail-smtpd.cdb $TCPDIR/qmail-smtpd.tmp < $TCPDIR/qmail-smtpd
---- snap ----

- pop3-record will act in /etc/tcprules.d
- I have users from an internal network which I always trust so:
- before adding TCPREMOTEIP, pop3-record will check wether this is already a
  RELAYCLIENT for us.
- rules for internal users go to /etc/tcprules.d/smtp.filter.zintern:
 ---- snip /etc/tcprules.d/smtp.filter.zintern ----
 127.0.0.1:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
 192.168.0.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
 :allow
 ---- snap ----
- I also wrote a small spec-file for rpm which will apply the patches, copy
  the scripts to the appropriate places and set up a cron-script for age-smtp.

Any comments?

Mirko

Hi all,

I know tcpserver can limit the number of concurrent connections, but can t
also limit the number of connections for a specific period of time for one
ip adres, lets say 100 connections for an ip adres in 5 minutes? This to
stop mailbombers and MS servers running wild (because of stray line
errors...).
For the moment I run through the tcpserver logfiles (for qmail-smtpd) myself
to count the number of times an ip connected, and block it if it's higher
than a specific number, but people can still do lots of stuff in 5
minutes...
Maybe someone has already a patch for this?

Franky

Hi,

On 23-Aug-99 Van Liedekerke Franky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know tcpserver can limit the number of concurrent connections, but can t
> also limit the number of connections for a specific period of time for one
> ip adres, lets say 100 connections for an ip adres in 5 minutes? This to
> stop mailbombers and MS servers running wild (because of stray line
> errors...).
> For the moment I run through the tcpserver logfiles (for qmail-smtpd) myself
> to count the number of times an ip connected, and block it if it's higher
> than a specific number, but people can still do lots of stuff in 5
> minutes...
> Maybe someone has already a patch for this?

I'm working on something like this... But I'm not there yet. Maybe next month.
The patch I'm doing works like this:
 - The control is based not on IP addresses but on IP pools. You define how
   many bit's of the IP address define the pool. For ex. if b (number of bits)
   is 24, all the IP addresses of the same /24 would fall in the same IP Pool.
 - So first you define the IP Pool (I'm using /25 for testing purposes), and
   then you define how many servers you will allow for each IP Pool.

In your case, if you want to limit by IP address, you would set the IP Pool
bits to 32.

No promisses, but this should be ready during September.

Best Regards,

---
Pedro Melo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
IP - Engenharia de Rede <http://ip.pt/>
Av. Duque de Avila, 23, 1049-071 LISBOA - PORTUGAL
tel: +351 1 3166740/00 (24h/dia) - fax: +351 1 3166701

> hanging around in a binary RPM on Mate W.'s site... either it's OK or
> Dan doesn't care enough...

Well, Dan is not the software police.  In any case, I have not been
able to find any notes on mess822's distribution.  Where is it?

Mate

At 12:19 AM 8/23/99 -0700, James J. Lippard wrote:
>Has anyone updated this for qmail 1.03?  The current one is for 1.01.
>(BTW, the mail link for Mark Delany on the qmail web page is out of date,
>too.)

In answer to your first question. I have manually patched it in, but my
qmail-1.03 is so far removed from normal that extricating the patches would
be too much of a pain.

The email address is still valid, but not for too much longer (I have a
vacation distractor on it).

Mark.

Hello,
        I was wondering if it is possible to setup qmail to send mail to the
primary server via qmqpc, but he queue the messages local if the primary server
is unavailable.

        The way I have it configured now, qmail-queue is symlinked to
qmail-qmqpc, so all incoming mail received via smtp is sent via qmqp to the
primary server.  However, if the primary server is unavailable, all incoming
mail is simply rejected.  It would be very nice if it would queue up until the
primary server is available again.

       Enter.net - "The Road To The Internet Starts Here!"
    Ben Heilman - Systems Administration    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:53:54 -0400, Ben Heilman wrote:

>       I was wondering if it is possible to setup qmail to send mail to the
>primary server via qmqpc, but he queue the messages local if the primary server
>is unavailable.

Yes, set up the local host with qmail and as a QMQP server. Set up
control/qmqpservers on the local host with the primary server as the
first IP, the local server as the second. Mail will go by QMQP to the
primary server. If it is down, it will go to the local server which
will send it out via SMTP. You can for this set up the primary as a
smarthost. This way, the mail will remain queued until the primary is
up and then it will be transferred there.

You loose the "multi-recipient message" part when you fall back to the
SMTP part. Hopefully, qmail-2.0 will solve this via QMTP.

-Sincerely, Fred

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 02:53:54PM -0400, Ben Heilman wrote:
>       I was wondering if it is possible to setup qmail to send mail to the
> primary server via qmqpc, but he queue the messages local if the primary server
> is unavailable.

Check out nullmailer at:
        http://em.ca/~bruceg/nullmailer/

It will do almost exactly what you want.  It always queues the message,
but will send it immediately if nothing else is in the queue.  It can
send via SMTP or QMQP.
--
Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/

A while ago, I had a perfectly running fetchmail/qmail system.  Fetchmail
delivered all my mails to X@localhost where X was either my name or my wife's
(our email addresses ar [EMAIL PROTECTED]), and qmail delivered to x, which is the
account name on the linux box (see home.tvd.be/ws35056/linux/mail.htm

Now it has all gone wrong, and I want to recover the good old days.

My .fetchmailrc reads:

poll mail.tvd.be with proto POP3
user "mb10056" with password "F7NK8TXx" to * here
 options forcecr

and qmail is listening on port 25.  Below is an exrtract from fetchmail -v -v

About to rewrite To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Rewritten version is To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

fetchmail: no local matches, forwarding to postmaster
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 saskia.tvd.be ESMTP
fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-P350.tvd.be
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 8BITMIME
fetchmail: forwarding to localhost
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 ok
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<postmaster@localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 ok

And the following has been added to my mail headers

despite have the relevant alias files

[root@P350 alias]# ls -la
total 15
drwxr-sr-x   2 alias    qmail        1024 Jul  6 21:29 .
drwxr-xr-x  10 root     qmail        1024 Jun 29 22:53 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 alias    nofiles      1155 Jun 29 22:48 .Xdefaults
-rw-r--r--   1 alias    nofiles        24 Jun 29 22:48 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r--   1 alias    nofiles       230 Jun 29 22:48 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r--   1 alias    nofiles       124 Jun 29 22:48 .bashrc
-rw-r--r--   1 root     qmail           5 Jul  6 21:29
.qmail-liesbeth:devriendt-rw-r--r--   1 root     qmail           0 Jun 29 22:51
.qmail-mailer-daemon
-rw-r--r--   1 root     qmail           4 Jun 30 21:40 .qmail-postmaster
-rw-r--r--   1 root     qmail           0 Jun 29 22:51 .qmail-postmaster~
-rw-r--r--   1 root     qmail           4 Jul  6 20:16 .qmail-root
-rw-r--r--   1 root     qmail           0 Jun 29 22:51 .qmail-root~
-rw-r--r--   1 root     qmail           4 Jun 29 23:32 .qmail-simon:hampton
-rw-------   1 alias    qmail        3637 Jul  6 21:19 Mailbox

/var/maillog simply confirms that fetchmail was sending the mail to postmaster,
and this is what is happening for all mails

If I put tvd.be in rcpthosts or locals I fear i will either create relay
possibilities in the former case, and not be able to email other TVD
subscribers in the latter.

How can I once more get fetchmail to pass mails to X@localhost faithfully

Simon

--
--------------------
http://home.tvd.be/ws35056/

> Hello,
>
> I'm running qmail 1.03 under OpenBSD 2.5.  There has been a user request
> to run pine 4.1 .  Looks like pine only supports mbox.
>
> It looks like maildir2mbox wants the following environment vars set.
>
> MAIL
> MAILDIR
> MAILTMP
>
> Does anybody know what these should look like?  I'm guessing MAILDIR
> should be set to ~/Maildir/ but the other two I have no clue.  I tried a
> man on maildir2mbox but man couldn't find an entry for it.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Josh

MAIL=$HOME/Mailbox
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
MAILTMP=$HOME/Mailtmp

works for me.

Jim Lippard       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.discord.org/
Unsolicited bulk email charge:   $500/message.   Don't send me any.
PGP Fingerprint: 0C1F FE18 D311 1792 5EA8  43C8 7AD2 B485 DE75 841C

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Josh Pennell wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm running qmail 1.03 under OpenBSD 2.5.  There has been a user request
> > to run pine 4.1 .  Looks like pine only supports mbox.
> >
> > It looks like maildir2mbox wants the following environment vars set.
> >
> > MAIL
> > MAILDIR
> > MAILTMP
> >
> > Does anybody know what these should look like?  I'm guessing MAILDIR
> > should be set to ~/Maildir/ but the other two I have no clue.  I tried a
> > man on maildir2mbox but man couldn't find an entry for it.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Josh

there are patches to pine 4.1 to make it work with Maildir, although it's
not clear without guidance which patches to use, and in which order.  I
have a patched source of Pine 4.1 for Maildir at
http://3.am/pine4.10.maildir.tar.gz

It built fine under Solaris 2.6 and FreeBSD 3.2 (you're soaking in it; see
the headers of this email).

On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 02:49:34AM -0400, David Harris wrote:

> Brian Reichert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> [snip]
> > The creation of the folder was reported as a success, but subsequent
> > efforts to use the folder yielded '~/Maildir/NewFolder is not a
> > valid mailbox', or some such.
> [snip]
>
> I'm a bit confused about what you are seeing here.

I apologize for the confusion; I was in a rush when I wrote the message,
and just now have returned from vacation to clean up. :/

> When you say that the folder
> should have been created as "~user/Maildir/NewFolder" but was created as
> "~user/~/Maildir/NewFolder" are you talking about the unix filesystem location
> of the folder, or namespace the IMAP server presents to the client? If this is
> in the IMAP namespace, could you please tell me where in the filesystem the
> folder was created.

In UNIX filespace, everyone's default maildir folder was named

        /home/<user>/Maildir

When a user (via thier IMAP client) would try to create a new folder
called 'NewFolder', what was created (in UNIX filespace) was

        /home/<user>/~/Maildir/Newfolder

These IMAP clients would report a successful creation of the folder.
But, when the user tried to place something into the folder, the
resulting error message was '~/Maildir/NewFolder is not a valid
mailbox', leading me to believe that it was looking for:

        /home/<user>/Maildir/Newfolder

> Also, where did you read that "~/Maildir/" was the proper mailbox prefix. I've
> got things working without any kind of mailbox prefix.

I have to admit, I can't find out where I got that.  I think what
threw me was this sentence WRT imap-4.5-qmail.patch:

        "The Maildir driver naturally looks in the standard qmail
        location of ~/Maildir."

I think I presumed to manually tell the client where to look, in
case the maildir root was named differently.

Irregardless of my apparent folly, supplying '~/Maildir/' as the
prefix allows people to read their mail, but they could not create
new folders, with the aforementioned symptoms.

I'll test tomorrow to see if not supplying that prefix clears the
problem up...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Daytime number: (781) 899-7484 x704

A couple of questions:
  Can qmqp be used to transfer messages from one overloaded server to another
   in order to balance the load somewhat?

  Along those same lines, is there a way to transfer messages which have missed
   their first delivery attempt to another machine in order to reduce the queue
   size?  For instance if there are three fast machines processing messages
   and passing those that had problems to another slower machine to send out
   when it can.

Thanks

--
  Matthew Harrell                          You're just jealous because the
  Bit Twiddlers, Inc.                       voices only talk to me.

f you think about it this needs a rather clever system to manage. I give you
the following scenario
you send 30,000 messages a day to mail servers in domain x. eg
bittwiddlers.com there is a catastrophic network failure in the network and
it is impossible to send mail to that domain. Your fast system passes all of
the mail during that day the network is out to the slow system all 30,000
messages. The slow server now has to do the task. or worse your servers
start madly passing the mail around amongst themselves in the vain beleif
that one of the others will be able to get through.

I think what you need is a distributed processing version of qmail.
Any takers ???

Dear Ken,

> From the admin's i've talked to, who use both IMP and sqwebmail,
> SqWebmail scales better. Imp has better features but is slower.
Which features are not still finished in SQWebmail?.

> We will have a GPL page/cgi for adding a user via vchkpw in a few
> days and put it on our web site.
Can you give me the date it will be done?.Let me know!.:)

Many thanks,

Martin
Best regards,

Martin Paulucci
http://www.ServiRED.COM
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cell Phone: 15-4935-4246
Telephone/Fax: (+54-11)4-961-3204

Can someone give me advice on this. I tried setting up the system by
were in vain. Currently I do not have a registered domain yet and
running RedHat (2.2.9 kernel).
What I hope to hear from the guru is that what are the steps need to
setup a mail server for sending and recieving email. I do hope someone
would be kind to do so.

Emmanuel
begin:vcard
n:Nee;Emmanuel
tel;cell:96963658
tel;fax:3388380
tel;work:3383808
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Emmanuel Nee
end:vcard

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Not AOL.  Hotmail only uses it for outgoing.  They tried using it for
> incoming, but ran into qmail-send's single-threaded processing of
> incoming email.  I think they were the first party to ever run into
> this problem, and I didn't realize what was happening when they asked.

Exactly what does this mean? That qmail-send just processes one email
at a time? And there is only one qmail-send that is master of and
handling the queue (i.e. spawning off new qmail-(remote|local)s?

And the only remedy for this is load-balancing to several servers I
guess..

Did they really had to give up qmail?

/magnus

Magnus Bodin wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Russell Nelson wrote:
>
> > Not AOL.  Hotmail only uses it for outgoing.  They tried using it for
> > incoming, but ran into qmail-send's single-threaded processing of
> > incoming email.  I think they were the first party to ever run into
> > this problem, and I didn't realize what was happening when they asked.
>
> Exactly what does this mean? That qmail-send just processes one email
> at a time? And there is only one qmail-send that is master of and
> handling the queue (i.e. spawning off new qmail-(remote|local)s?
>
> And the only remedy for this is load-balancing to several servers I
> guess..
>
> Did they really had to give up qmail?
>
> /magnus

Hmm, qmail-spawn was never been a bottleneck in any load testing I did
except one case where qmail was set a low value for spawned
qmail-listen's: the symptoms were a backup behind spawn but the problem
was a combination of slow deliveries (NFS (I had modified lspawn so it
wouldn't throw up if it stat'ed an NFS mounted directory) and a too-low
value of spawnable children. I would very much like to understand the
circumstances under which qmail-spawn could become a bottleneck.

Russel, please let us know what the symptoms were.

--
Daemeon Reiydelle
Systems Engineer, Anthropomorphics Inc.

I have a dialup qmail server that is a higher MX preference than my
permanently connected qmail server. I am using a dynip.com dynamic DNS
name for the dialup.

My problem is that this morning, it seems that the dynip.com name server
was down. The result of this is that the permanently connected qmail
server bounced all messages destined for the dialup machine with the
message:

Aug 24 07:42:55 www qmail: 935476975.745655 delivery 2136: failure:
Sorry._Altho
ugh_I'm_listed_as_a_best-preference_MX_or_A_for_that_host,/it_isn't_in_my_contro

l/locals_file,_so_I_don't_treat_it_as_local._(#5.4.6)/

Is there a way to stop qmail from bouncing these messages, so that it
retries later. I presume qmail ignores the highest MX preference if it
cannot get an ip address for the name ??????

Any help much appreciated,
Thanks, ..Chris.