> You had said that top was showing full memory usage, and your machine
> was swapping a little. If the nameserver is on the same ethernet segment
> you shouldn't see latency problems and the extra memory should
> reduce swapping further. What's being swapped isn't really an issue -
> the act of swapping causes severe performance degredation.

        If the system in question is a Linux box, a) full memory usage is
the normal state and b) a small amount of swap usage is normal and not
neccessarily performance inhibiting.

        As far as a) goes, the system doesn't free up memory unless it is
out of memory.  The idea is, why waste cycles freeing up stuff until you
need the space?  The side effect is that system tools always show full
memory.

        I'm not sure why a small amount of swap is always in use but it
seems to be true, and not a performance inhibitor.  Check the amount of swap
in use at boot time, quiet time, and heavy use time - if they stay the same,
then it isn't actually actively swapping.

--
    gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]